Streets of Fire and other great B-movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Apr 4, 2004.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Just finished watching Streets of Fire (A rock and roll fable). I hadn't seen that in years but I love these 80's (and 70's) B-movies. It's hard to beat a good sledgehammer showdown for originality. Also, a musclebound Willem DeFoe with a pompadour and ducka$$ hairdo walking around in patent leather overalls is a must-see. If you can get past the cheesy 80's music scenes it's a great, fun movie. Some store must have been having a blowout sale on lever-action rifles before this movie was made because there's about a hundred of them seen here.

The movie was directed by Walter Hill, who also directed what is possibly one of the greatest movies of all time, The Warriors. I love that movie and I watch it every time I come across it on TV. I need to buy the DVD. Hill also directed one of the coolest B-movies of the 90's, Last Man Standing.

Oh yeah, he also directed Crossroads, which my friends and I thought of as the ultimate guitar movie when we were in high school.

So what are some of your favorite B-movies?

Some of my other faves are:

The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across the Eighth Dimension - This was the source of the famed line "Wherever you go, there you are." No, that country and western singer didn't make it up himself.

Six String Samurai - This one was almost TOO cheesy to enjoy...almost.

Ghost Dog - I don't know if this can actually be considered a B-movie since it was directed by an official "art house" guy, Jim Jarmusch, but it has all the elements.

brad cook
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Pretty much any movie with 'fire' in the title
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Six-String Samurai: ++++ I went insane after watching it!

Ghost Dog I really liked as well, I was expecting it to be more action-packed, but I wasn't disappointed that it wasn't. It had a strange beauty to it. The scene w/ RZA was silly though.

I'm a sucker for bad kung-fu movies. Like "Legend of Ricky-Oh" which was one of the goriest fake-gore movies ever.

The Japanese film "Battle Royale" probably doesn't belong here...but I think I could slip it in edge-wise as well worth viewing (if you're over 18), but don't expect many funny moments.

"The Warriors"....can't really say much more.

And, of course, the seminal "Evil Dead" trilogy
  4. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Ha ha ha, streets of fire. I saw that in a theater when it first came out. I love B movies, cant remember one of them now but Ive seen alot. Oh ya, "corvet summer" with Mark Hammel after star wars came out is one.
  5. Warriors... come out to play-ee-ay!

Buckaroo Banzai has to be at the top of my list.

Let's see... Nate and Hayes was a fun pirate movie, with Tommy Lee Jones.

Videodrome. Debbie Harry confesses to being in a constant state of over-stimulation. Contains some great lines... "Long live the new flesh!"

The Conversation - not sure if it's really a B movie, but I think it was made pretty cheap. See the role Gene Hackman references in Enemy of the State with Will Smith.

Strange Brew.

Troll II.

I'm sure I'll think of a million more as soon as I turn off the computer.
  6. jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Anyone who agrees that the evil dead trilogy is a great movie needs to see Bubba Ho-Tep (the new Bruce Campbell movie). Its hard to beat Elvis fighting mummies in a nursing home.
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    "They Live" - best B movie ever. Starring Rowdy Roddy Piper with a righteous mullet, and featuring the longest street fight scene ever.

"I came here to kick ass, and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of bubble gum." :D
  8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Several of these are great. I am a firm believer that a fun bad movie is waaay better tham a dull good movie.

I loved 'Streets of Fire.' That cheesy '80's-ness is even more cheesy when you remember that it was supposed to be no readily identifiable times frame. I dug several of the songs on the soundtrack.

Buckaroo Banzai is one of my all-time faves as well. I noticed a post the other day from someone called Perfect Tommy. Isn't that from T.A.o.B.B.A.t.8th.D?

But if you could dig Buckaroo, you've really gotta see 'Rustlers Rhapsody.' "I'm a grown man! I can swear if I want to! Hell! Dang! Uh tee-tee. Doo-doo."

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the movie, not the series. Although I did dig the series. My favorite line was "Kill him a lot."

Bubba Ho-Tep looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Donnie Darko was great. It felt a lot like a B movie, regardless of budget.

Oh! I just noticed 'Re-Animator' on Mycraniums list. A friend of mine did special effects on the Re-Animator movies. Especially on 'Bride of Re-Animator.' His name is Tom Rainone. Immensely cool guy that I haven't seen in a long time.
  9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Nvere saw Streets Of Fire...I do have the soundtrack on LP, hadda learn "I Can Dream About You".
    '80s B-Movie? Eddie & The Cruisers.

For some reason, maybe the title...this reminded me of The Perils Of Gwendolyn
    Ya know, the movie that had lenghty scenes featuring a topless Tawny Kitean.
    Can't remember squat about 'the plot', nevertheless, put me down as "I like it".
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh dad took me to see that in the theater when I was a kid. I remember liking it.

Another couple I should add are Equillibrium and The Cube.

brad cook
  11. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    great b-movie, isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? I mean, if it was great, wouldn't it be an A-movie?
  12. A and B originally referred to the budget, not quality. Just so happens a lot of B movies are just bad - and not good-bad either.
  13. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I see. I've been curious to see The Warriors, seems like an interesting movie. I hear rockstar is making a game based off of that movie. Sounds like fun
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That's awesome!

I heard that this movie was based on an actual event that happened back in the Roman empire or something. That's where the got the guy's name who gets killed right in the beginning (Cyrus).

Can't verify that though. I think I may have gotten that info from Joe Bob Briggs, who had hilarious commentary on this movie when he showed it on his old Monstervision show.

brad cook
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Here's an interesting movie, I'm hesitant as to whether to call it a 'B-movie' or not, I mean, by today's standards it looks really funky, and dated, but I *think* when it was released(mid nineties) it was actually pretty cutting edge.

Anyway, The movie is called 'the storm riders'. It's about this evil dude named Lord Conquer who is trying to take over hte world, he is told a prophecy that he will have 40 years of rule, but then these kids Cloud and Wind would eventually lead to his downfall. So, in response to this, he finds Cloud and Wind when they are babies and has them train under his supervision, But, when cloud and wind discovery that Conquer murdered their parents to get them when they were babies, they seek their revenge. Combined with some borderline-magically powers, and kick ass martial arts, they go to take out conquer.

This movie is interesting because, it's actually very good, though at first it appears incredibly cheesy. If you give it a fair chance, it's really entertaining.

Additionally, this movie was the precursor to 'crouching tiger, hidden dragon' and 'the matrix' in it's use of high flying wire based martial arts, mixed in with magic and supernatural stuff.

Anyway, check it out, I think it came out on DVD not too long ago.
  16. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I loved "Walker" starring Ed Harris. A really weird and unique movie.

Warriors is a classic. love it.

and I am not sure if I can classify this as a B movie, but it definitely is low-budget. "Down By Law." It is B&W and It stars Tom Waites, Roberto Benini and John Lurie. Really funny and cool.
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It was also made by jim jarmusch who was mentioned earlier in this thread.

sidenote, I really dig ghost dog :)
  18. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My son has a small collection of horrendously bad movies. Some are 'fun-bad'. Many (MANY) are just bad-bad. One of his faves that he frequently quotes is the Batman movie. Not the big budget one with Michael Keaton-Val Kilmer-George Clooney.

Nonononononoooooo the one with Adam West, Burt Ward, Burgess Meredith, Cesar Romero, Frank Gorshin,Lee Meriweather...

Are you cringing in fear yet?

He quotes it. Often. He says that this is probably why he will die alone. Some of the quotes are kind of surreal, especially if you don't know where they came from.

"Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!"
    "'What's yellow and writes?' 'A ballpoint banana.' 'Exactly!'"
    "It's a low neighborhood full of rumpots. They're used to curious sights, which they attribute to alcoholic delusion."
    "'What's small, sings,and is dangerous?' 'A canary with a machine gun!' 'That's right Robin!'"

Like I said, pretty surreal.
  19. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    I am not ashamed to say it....Flash Gordon is one of my all time favorite Movies....I can't wait to find it on DVD and have to my slowly growing DVD collection....
  20. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bubba Hotep: yes, it did rock. Luckily one of like 7 theaters in the country that had it is a 20 minute drive from my appartment. I feel lucky.

Ghost Dog: Not really a B movie, IMHO. Good movie.

They Live: Good B movie.

Batman (1960s): Incidentally, Bard, I too quote that movie, and I too will probably die alone. Go figure there was actually a root cause of that malady.

Flash Gordon: C'mon, Ming rocked the evil beard.

Six String Samurai: Despite an appearance by the Red Elvises, I couldn't help but think this had a lot of potential, but missed on several levels, making it only marginally enjoyable.

Sadly, Troma presents Surf Nazi's Must Die wasn't nearly bad enough, it was simply poor. Surfing skinheads has a lot of potential, but they threw it away with marginally capable actors.

Split Second (w/ Rutger Hauer): "Bigger guns! We need bigger guns!"

Evil Dead and ED 2: Best B-Movies ever, c'mon.

Jesus Christ- Vampire Hunter: The title is all you need to know.

Ravenous: Yes, it's a B movie. Civil War era cannibals and Wendigo's? B movie. With a kickin' soundtrack.

Rock 'n Roll Highschool: "Whoa, hold it, we've hade some problems with rats exploding... Oh, cool, earplugs, go on in."