Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Streicher method

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Jul 25, 2002.

1. I was taught Simandl 40 years ago, and all my teachers the past 6 years use Simandl. But yesterday, Michael Moore gave me an eye popping demonstration of the Streicher method. There's no doubt in my mind it's one key to his greatness. In addition, he's been injury free since changing. When he was with Marian McPartland, he had gone 3 months with no feeling in his fingers.
    As demonstrated close-up, Streicher makes eminent good sense. However, to anyone schooled in Simandl, learning it is a nightmare. I say it can't be done without a teacher. Michael agrees, and now that he's with Brubeck he has no time for teaching. My next lesson is almost 2 months from now.
    Does anyone know teachers of Streicher in northern NJ or NYC?
    And thanks, but no, thanks, I will not try to learn from a video.

2. Don,

What are some of the elements of the Streicher method that make it different/preferable to Simandl? Can it be used to teach young beginners?

Thanx

3. Basically, it uses the body's geometry more efficiently. Loads are shifted to the skeleton and to larger muscles. The hand and fingers are not carrying weight and are relaxed and more nimble. Michael can walk all day in Db or Gb.
    Beginners are ideal students. When Michael takes a young player as a student, he always puts him in Streicher. Knowing how difficult the change is, he leaves old players like me alone.

4. This sounds like a great method, I don't know of any teachers in the area of this method, but if I hear anything I will let you know. Please do the same if you find a teacher, I would like to see this method up close and have it explained to me. I meet Michael Moore at a Brubeck show in NJ and inquired about lessons, needless to say I found out how busy he is. :(
    Mike

5. Sounds like a Streicher/ALexander Technique method.

6. When I show my Alexander teacher, I'm sure she'll flip.
    By the way, I brought my bass to my Alexander lesson. I was bowing 'Round Midnight. I told her what I was playing, and she said "I knew it was 'Round Midnight, but I had forgotten Monk wrote it."
    This is the kind of woman you want to marry!

7. True, so True.

I don't know if I should ask you here or PM you but how long have you been taking Alexander lessons?
    I have been thumbing my way through a couple of books about it and just found out that there is a teacher about 15 minutes from me.
    Thanks

8. mmm - interesting! I once heard Monk described as "...knowing the secret of the right mistake!"

Unforunately, when I play there are so many damned mistakes, it could never be mistaken for Monk, because my mistakes are all the "wrong 'uns" :)

- Wil

(You sure she wasn't putting you on, by the way? :eek: )

9. kontri

kontri Guest

Oct 5, 2002
    Denmark
    I think the most important thing in the Streicher method is the handposition. And he explains it very well in words and pictures.

I'm not a jazzplayer but I would love to see more jazzists showing some disciplin in there intonation-practising (which you do when practising handposition). There are to many out of tune out there!!!

But I still love you all:D

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'd be really interested to hear more about this method. It sounds like a martial art for the bass, which is a good thing. Anyone know more details about Streicher's method, or links to same?

11. Seppie

Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    by now my teachers trying to teach me in the streichers method...can´t tell you if its better than simandl cause i hadn´t the chance to compare...

now to his method...there are five books explaining his aproach to the bass...all with photos and explanations...
    the first one is all regarding the half position...with alot of exercises!
    the second (where i am now) is up to the f
    the third is up to the octave
    the fourth is up to thumb positions
    the fith is, i think, only exercises...

hope it helps a bit...

gruesze sebastian