streicher questions?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by mike_odonovan, Nov 2, 2004.

1. can anyone describe his way of crossing between strings?

i have recently adopted his left hand position and found it very tire free and useful. his 1st book is really laid back and modest with lots of good stuff. just can't understand the stuff about string crossing.

before anyone says i cant learnt the method without a teacher i'll let you know i been searching for one here in England for a while and without success. anyone know of someone?

my normal teacher (Simandl) is away and i just thought i would experiment with a bit of streicher and i like it!
  2. My teacher uses the Stricher method and has taught me the left hand technique, but we haven't gone over the bowing. He explained it to me in brief and I watch him bow from what I've gathered it's all about shifting from the wrist to cross strings. This is just an observation though. Good luck.
  3. I used to use the Streicher bow technique. Then I went and studied with a teacher who taught a very traditional old school technique, and he just about flipped when he checked out my bowing. The Streicher technique uses the pinky finger under the frog to sort of pivot the bow to cross strings. It's pretty difficult to explain without showing in person, but if you'd like I can take a few pictures and post them. I think it's a good technique for solo playing and the like, but for orchesta work i don't know that it's all that great. The biggest objection seems to be that the technique leads to bowing with less than the full width of bow hair on the string, and therefore less tone. I'm not sure this is valid if the technique is fully developed, but for most players it probably is. I'd say it's worth learning and practicing just for the experience and variety, but I don't think I'd recomend an entire switch-over unless you're very familiar with the technique and a very advanced player. Oh, and you had a teacher who teaches it.