1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Streisand disrespecting the sideman.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Don Higdon, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    It happens to bassists all the time, but see what she does to the most important musician in her act.

http://music.aol.com/video/wee-small-hours-of-the-morning/barbra-streisand/sony:42283366001?icid=main|htmlws-main|dl8|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fmusic.aol.com%2Fvideo%2Fwee-small-hours-of-the-morning%2Fbarbra-streisand%2Fsony%3A42283366001

EDIT: I see this doesn't link. Sorry, all.
    EDIT EDIT Paul posted the link below, at post #4.

Don

2. Thanks a bunch Dono. I have to have this. Now.
    Do you know how to Copy and Paste?
    Come on. I need this now.
    Please oh pleeze.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    This is weird - I always heard she was real laid-back and easy to work for. :bag:

4. eucalyptus

eucalyptus

Feb 17, 2009
    oakland, ca
    what did she do to the bassist? i didn't catch it. or do you mean the fact that she is talking over the other musicians?

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Yeah uncool. As the joke goes.... how many Barbara Streisands does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

*Hint: I replaced singer with her name. ;)

Being laid back and unprofessional are two different things... regardless of who the singer is. Yes Euc, it was talking over the solo. The guy had a nice solo too.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    At least she didn't bring a blender....

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Damn, that **** was cold. She doesn't even have a ****ing clue either.

Wow.

Well, he's still got that gig though. Prolly not bad coin I'd guess. In a roundabout way he's taking a lot less **** than I am and making buckets full more cheese to do it.

8. I got an idea what she could do with a blender.

9. eucalyptus

eucalyptus

Feb 17, 2009
    oakland, ca
    i saw the quick and then removed 'you are kidding, right?' post. i wasn't kidding, but i misunderstood what was meant by the original post - i thought he meant she did something to the bassist specifically. when she started talking i was thinking 'hmm, that sucks'.. but still i was waiting for her to do or say something mean to the bass player. anyway, i get it now. she's lame.

10. Yeah, I deleted my post when I saw the others moving in. Then realized it could have been misunderstood.
    I really thought you were kidding. No offence.

11. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Honestly, it went right by me. (I kept waiting for the bass player to imperceptibly **** up and get exploded-at.)

You got to understand, that show is not about the piano dude at all - most people there got way more out of the audience banter than they would have from the instrumental solo.

You want the spotlight on the piano solo? Don't check out a Streisand Concert - go see McCoy Tyner instead. At least that's what I'd do. :smug:

12. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    This may be true, but it doesn't make it right. In most situations, audience doesn't really give a crap and the total musician/listener does.

Still, I wouldn't put it past Streisand to do something like that as she seems to be a self-absorbed person to begin with. Some would say she's earned the right to do that... w/e... it's still not cool in my book, not that she really cares what I have to say. LOL

13. She was always a "piece of work", temperamentally speaking. A pianist I knew(a long time ago) played behind her when she played the Caucus Club in Detroit. He described her antics in just a couple words that really aren't appropriate here......

Josh

14. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    She's completely in charge of every little detail. Cut the ****ing solos out if you don't want them. Piano man prolly doesn't care that much either way.

Truth is the audience doesn't want to hear solos either. I wouldn't bother with them.

15. milomo

milomo

Aug 5, 2007
    Bloomfield, NJ
    By the way, that's Jeff Carney on bass, and i'm pretty sure he's worked with her before, so he knows the deal.

16. eucalyptus

eucalyptus

Feb 17, 2009
    oakland, ca
    none taken, Paul! i tend to ask naive questions in DB forums anyhow..

17. I've spent alot of time listening and watching class acts like Tony Bennett. If you think for a split second he would pull crap like this on Ralph Sharon or any accompanist, conductor and/or arranger you are just not aware of true professionalism.

EDIT: I stand with the blender idea I got from Ed.

18. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    The difference between a singer and a musician is that the musician knows there is something to know. Tony Bennett, Sinatra, David Allyn, Nancy Wilson, Ella, Sarah, and a few others-these are musicians who sing. They understand on a profound level what their accompanists are doing to make them sound good and treat them with the respect they deserve. For the rest, a short solo feature for an instrumentalist is nothing more than another opportunity to bask in the warmth of their own grandeur.

19. Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Well I just watched it again (thanks a lot, guys :eyebrow:) and it felt to me like it was arranged that way, like "I'll chat with the crowd while you tinker in the background". I didn't get a sense like he was about to really do something exciting before she cut him off.

But... whatever. I should surely find something better to do right now than play devil's advocate for Streisand. (Checking out some Tony Bennett clips sounds pretty good, actually...)