Strength Of Fender Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KlarkKent, Jan 14, 2002.

1. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Hey Guys,

Can anyone tell me about the strength of Fender necks from 1990 on. I want to get a precision and from what I read, and played an american made 90's fender is a fine bass that I will love, (Can't afford Pre-CBS, don't wanna risk 70's, don't trust 80's, can't afford new). So my question is other than width of neck at nut, what are the different types of fender necks? Do they differ in strength? Basically, I will be putting Rotosound RS77 'Jazz Bass' Flatwounds, (50, 75, 95, 110), on it, which I'm told needs a good strong neck. From 1990, say, to today were there any years that had strong necks or weak necks to avoid? Ok, Fender experts let-er-rip.

Klark Kent
  2. geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    My experience might not be the norm, but I have a standard american jazz from the mid 90's that I strung with light guage d'adarrio flats for a couple of months. It was never able to handle the stress. I had to switch back to roundwounds. (It turned out great though, as I discovered DR Lo Riders!!!) I think late 90's they started using graphite reinforcement, so that might help. I'd be REALLY carefull though. Maybe somnebody else has had better luck.
  3. I'm pretty sure they started using graphite reinforcement on the American Standards from 96-on. I've heard a lot of horror stories about the American Vintage 62 Reissue Jazzes from recent years. John Westcott says that part of it is the harvesting of the newer growth rosewood for the fretboard, which hasn't matured in the same way as the old growth stuff, so it's not quite as strong. But that nut width is tiny! It's probably safe to say that the more substantial a neck is, the more likely it will be to be strong. On the other hand, neck twist and other unpleasant things can happen to any wooden neck.

Edit: This was post #535 for me. Maybe I shouldn't post any more??
  4. KlarkKent

Dec 17, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Great info, thanks guys!!! Anyone else, please?
    Klark Kent
  5. Hiway61

Nov 24, 2001
    SE Pennsylvania
    Like geo said, you may want to try a later 90s AmStd with the graphite reinforcement. I tried those strings (at least I think it was those) on my 95 MIA Jazz and they bowed the neck pretty badly. Switched to ML Fender flats and then to TI Jazz Flats and have had no problems with them. Happy hunting.
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I have a '97 MIA P-Bass and have never had problems with it... I've had RotoSounds, Fender Flats, and now Dean Markley Blue Steels. Mine's never batted an eye at any of these...