1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strep, Meds and Bacon

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by awakefie, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Ok. Doc tells me I have strep. Puts me on anti-biotics. No alcohol as it affects the meds. Bummer.

Here's my question. Does cooking up and eating a pound of bacon counter-act the meds? I know the piggies are fed anti=biotics.

Please tell me it's ok to eat bacon. 10 days without a drink = no problem. 10 days without bacon? Wait a minute...

2. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
  3. Topspin

Topspin What's my name again?

Dec 15, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I played Tom Sawyer with a pick once. Shame on me.
    Strep, Meds and Bacon- sounds like the title of an autobiography or perhaps a Vegas-based law firm.

As far as being able to eat bacon or not, I say go for it. The biggest thing would be eating stuff other than bacon as well. A pound of greasy bacon in the gut without anything else sounds like a pilgrimage to the porcelain god waiting to happen.

May I suggest the tried-and-true peanut butter and bacon sammich?

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    You should be fine with the bacon. Don't overthink it.

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    The only concern you should have with the bacon is if you're on an oral drug (you're not in the hospital so I'm assuming you are) the high fat content can impact drug absorption. If you don't mind me asking, what is the drug? How it is formulated can be indicative of how the fat content of your meal will impact intake. It should say on the label take with food or don't take with food if there is a real concern for any contraindication issues. Worst case, take the drug on an empty stomach, have the bacon 30 minutes or so later.

A few reviews that may be specific to your circumstances:
    Effects of Food on Drug Absorption - Annual Review of Nutrition, 16(1):383
    Pharmacokinetics of Rifampin Under Fasting Conditions, With Food, and With Antacids*

6. Amoxycillin, 500 mg. 3 times a day.

An thanks for the links.

7. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    There is little to no impact according to most studies. Decent review article here if you want to read all the details, but the summation is that they found no difference fed or fasted for amoxicillin.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ive been on meds for strep before, you can drink just fine!
    Amoxycillin never seemed to impinge my drinking before.

9. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Whisky was always my friend when I had strep. Even with meds, a shot of whisky never hurt. The bacon will just make you feel good!!! Bacon is so good that when you cook it, it sounds like it's applauding!

10. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Whisky, America's #1 Tooth/Mouth/Throat Pain Remedy since 1869!

11. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Grampa's cough medicine

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Eating a pound of bacon is a terrible idea. You don't need the saturated fat or the calories. (And the thought is rather disgusting.)

If you want to get healthy, eat a balanced diet and get a decent amount of sleep.

13. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yes!

Wait no!

Carrots is carrots. Bacon is most definitely not carrots!

14. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    I've had those antibiotics with bacon several times before, never caused a problem.

I've also had them with alcohol (not a huge amount) which didn't seem to cause a problem, though I believe the main problem with mixing most antibiotics with alcohol is that it reduces their effectiveness, although some of them can be dangerous.

15. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma

The issue with alcohol and antibiotics - or any medication really - is in metabolism. There are few antibiotics where there can be competition for binding cyp enzymes in the liver and some where metabolites of either can cause an adverse reaction when in the presence of the other, but those cases are pretty limited. Overall, metabolism of alcohol will pull energy resources from other bodily functions (think of how you feel when hungover) which can slow down cellular metabolic functions that are necessary for recovery from illness. Again, if it's an adverse reaction that's really worth noting, it will be on the pill bottle, but otherwise it's really all in how fast you want to let your body recover.