Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Strep Thoat

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, May 24, 2004.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    I have it right now and I just wanna know if there is anything I can do to ease the pain (besides taking meds). Maybe from some TB doctors?

2. I got it all the time as a kid, and they recently tested me for it, but the test was negative.

Take throat lozenges etc, and stuff to sooth your throught and stuff like advil and sudafed's good too.

But what really makes it go away is prescribed antibiotics.

3. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

yuppers

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

aviod alcohol and smoking, those will make your throght very uncomortable.

5. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    they never work for me..

advil is a good idea

what about tea? and if so, warm or cool?

6. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Actually, smoking helps when I have a sore throat...although I don't recommend starting for medicinal purposes :p

Something about the numbing effect of nicotine. Didn't native americans put tobacco on wounds to ease the pain? Maybe I just imagined that :meh:

7. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    when I was a kid my mom used to have me gargle warm salt water. I remember that feeling pretty good.

8. chop up about three cloves of garlic, really fine. mix it into a shot glass full or warm honey. toss it back.
    works better than any throat syrup i've ever tried.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

throw some vinegar into the mix too.

10. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Go to a doctor if you haven't already. Strep, if untreated, can cause alot of problems. And take ALL the medication. I messed up once and stopped taking it toward the end when I felt better; bad idea. I got strep immediately MUCH worse than before. The strep got stronger by me not finishing the meds (only the strong survive then multiply).

For pain, eat some ice cream/sorbet, stuff like that calms it down a bit.

11. i concur.
    the problem is, i only ever have balsamic vinegar in the house. so, i never really think about it.

12. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, it turned into scarlet fever when I was like 10...not good.

13. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i am on meds right now and i will def take all of them

does that garlic and honey thing really work?

14. it's just temporary relief from the pain. it doesn't cure anything. but, neither of the ingredients are bad for you. garlic is actually great for your immune system. so it can't hurt.

i think it tastes good, but i'm a freak for garlic.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    vinegar is a very powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal light acid. It's great for you.

16. Vingear, honey and garlic just sounds like a good thing anywho :) Would make good marinade also :D

17. dude, i bathe in the stuff.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    You probably smell really interesting.

19. i use my nose, like everyone else.

20. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    There are a number of OTC products that willease the pain, Chloraseptic for one, that have a lidocaine additive to numb the throat. Salt water gargle has been known to help some as will some motrin.

Mike