Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

stressin out

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by pbassfreak, May 3, 2001.

1. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    i have had this problem for about a year.i have a pbass through a gk800rb ampeg4x10..every once in a while the speakers will distort real bad..i just had my gk serviced
    and it started happening again.i changed cords it was ok for awile and started doing it again at my last gig...i read where
    they say pbass input jacks are notorius for going out..could this be the problem..any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'll move this post to "pick ups" where it will probably attract a lot more answers, hopefully the one you seek.

JO

3. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I had to change the input jack on my Precision (active) - but the symptom then was the typical crackling from a bad connection. After first changing cable, some bending of the jack plugs told me where the trouble was. But I never experienced any distortion.

Sorry I can't come up with a solution, but I don't believe it is the input jack that causes distortion. At least it didn't in my case. But you could of course change it anyway to eliminate that possibility.

4. i had the same problem on a Pedulla.
    i dont know about the pbass but on the Pedulla you can open the back and see the jack.

what i did was take a Q-Tip and some cleaner, i used rubbing alcohol and cleaned the jack were the cord touches it. also took some needle nose pliers and bent the jack connectors slightly.

if you can see it maybe just the Q-Tip and a little cleaner will do.

good luck

5. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Well, it seems that it's a problem with the bass rather than the amp, so I'm moving it to Setup.

How did it get here in the first place? :confused:

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    well I can see that the moderators are confused on this one, so lets take it to misc. :)

hehe

You have some good advice here already. I would definately try raising the action a tad, and you didn't mention that you intoned (is that the right word?) your bass... so check it's intonation too. You might find when it is setup correctly in that regard everything ballances out and you lose the rattle... But then, I am no expert... just love to chat and pretend I am. :p

7. Gabu, just what post are you responding to??

If this thing doesn't get a little more coherent, I might just have to 86 it!

8. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Well, just that Jason moved it, then Yawnsie moved it too (in their posts) So, there was some question among the moderators as to where this thread belonged. :p I was teasing, but didn't mean it to sound like a flame (if it sounds that bad, sorry! :) )

The rest of my reply is in answer to the orginal question, as I understood it. Which at the time was something related to a rattling after changing strings... But now that I have re-read it... I realise that I a) am replying in the wrong thread or b) am on crack.... doh... sorry guys. :(