Stretching my fingers...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Suckbird, May 30, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    So i'm learning a classical piece called Fugue in D minor, the version is tappeed and at 2times i have to stretch my fingers between the 1st fret and the 5th fret and be able to hammer pull-off on it too..

exercises? IT's real hard but i have seen a video of a guy playing it that way...
  2. just place your finger on the first fret, and place the other one on the 5th fret and HOLD IT
    as long as you can
    do this regulary and youll get the stretchiness right :)
    Thats how I did it
  3. DaemonBass

Mar 29, 2004
    Sacramento, CA

Sounds like a tough one. I agree with the above poster. Don't hurt yourself though! :)

As an alternative you could always play an octave up, where the frets aren't so far apart. Just a suggestion.
  4. jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    How does it sound on the 6th and 10th fret of the adjacent string? As far as excercises go, I'd start there.
  5. TheMinotaur

Jun 5, 2005
    Practice playing Major Scales
    Fret Position:
    1 3 5
    1 3 5
    fingering the scale:
    1 2 5
    1 2 5

That will work out your Stretching of your fingers and also give you didnt playing positions I love playing scales that way t stretch my fingers even though Im used to playing both electric and upright basses.
  6. bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I also use scales to stretch. I start on the frets that are closer together (7-10) and then play the scales lower and lower until I'm working with the 1st through the 4th fret. My hands are small, so it's important that I do these stretches.