Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Stretching?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Casey C., May 10, 2003.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    Does anyone stretch before they play? any finger stretches to get things warmed up?

2. I just play without the volume up, do a couple of scales, that sort of thing. i don't do any pilates for fingers or anything like that. I don't stretch them - pulls them out of their sockets. Then you'd be screwed!

3. i always stretch my fingers, never happend before, unless you actually PULL on them! :p

Do the scales, start of slowly, with volume up (just mo) and play softly, then build up your speed and attack if necessary! Good wya to practise keeping time and the beat!

I stretch: hold you own hand, and then twist in circles, like you would do if your warming up your ankle. as you go on, move your hands apart, i.e. so that the space between your knucle and first joint are touching.

Now clench, and retract, and bend your fingers back - ****GENTLY!!!**** - hold for a few seconds, and then repeat.

These are methods I've picked up from rugby training, and reading some replies around TB, it works for me, and hopefully for you. :)

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Stretching is important.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I do finger stretching all the time...at least 5-6 times a day. It can't hurt.

6. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I spend a lot of time stretching and warming up. I'd do finger alternations, chromatic runs, scale runs, etc. For stretching, I do a few things, like bending my fingers back (gently of course! make sure not to crack your knuckles), also bending my hand back to feel a stretch in the wrist. Then I do the opposite and bend them forward. I also like to expand my fingers out as far as they can or clutch my hand into a fist then slowly relax it (tension and release). Then finally, I shake my hands out so they feel nice and loose before I begin to play/practice.

Like JMX said, stretching (and warming up) is very important and will help to prevent injuries.

Yoga is also good...for your whole body and mind. Find some simple stretches and you'll be amazed at how you feel. :)

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I do... I actually HAVE to since I broke my arm in four places... If I don't stretch out my fingers and hand I'll cramp up.

Pretty much the same technique "stephanie" posted above.