1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Strictly aesthetics: Fender Classic '60s Jazz Bass vs. Fender AV '62 Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Fender Classic '60s Jazz Bass

39 vote(s)
    39.4%
  2. Fender American Vintage '62 Jazz Bass

60 vote(s)
    60.6%
  1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Since these models are fairly similar, and they are both available on the Sweetwater "Guitar Gallery", I thought an aesthetic shootout would be cool. Any concerning finish, wood grain, fingerboard, pickguard, headstock, etc.

1) Fender Classic '60s Jazz Bass: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0131800300 This model is priced at $840 new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2) Fender American Vintage '62 Jazz Bass: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0190209806 This model is priced at $1960 new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simply, which bass do you guys think looks better? Please post why you chose what you voted for!

I think the '62 looks nicer overall because of the darker fingerboard, nitro finish, and pickguard, but I like the sunburst on the '60s much more. IMO there isn't enough yellow in the '62 3TS.

2. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I like the 62, except for the Knobs and lack of tone knob

3. With Lime

With Lime

Feb 8, 2009
    I like the 60's. There is more yellow, and I prefer the knobs on it as well.

4. The 62 is stacked knobs,V/T V/T. I like the 62 more for exactly that reason.

Lookswise,sunburst on the 60's is nicer.

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I prefer the '62 - I don't really like the yellow component a a 3TSB that much, and prefer there to be little of it to be seen.

6. metdistortion

metdistortion

Aug 13, 2008
    England
    I picked the '60s as it doens't have an American flag on it :D

7. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    i picked the 60's cause it looks like my bass

8. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    '60s is in the lead!

9. I like the '62 neck and the '60s body. The darker rosewood and grain on the headstock give the '62's neck the edge, but its body looks bland in comparison.

10. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    Voting purely on aesthetics, I like the ever so slightly lighter finish on the '60.

That being said, I'd prolly go with the '62 because there's barely a difference, and I prefer the V/T/V/T to V/V/T

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    In the photos they look pretty close, but in person the AV basses almost always have a higher quality presence. They are usually impeccably built and finished. But the Classic series are darned nice for sure.

12. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Listing the prices is bound to skew the results.

I vote for the Classic 60's because I'd rather have 3 knobs to worry about than 4.

13. The '62 looks nicer, IMO. I like the stacked knobs and the strap button on the back of the head.

I may be a bit biased though as I owned a 60's for a few years. Very poor QC and the neck warped thanks to Fender using too fresh of a wood. Eventually, the truss rod couldn't be adjusted :(

14. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Hey what was the reason for the strap button on the back of the headstock? was it a spare or something or to hang a tag from?

15. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Based on pics, they are pretty close, it's really a toss-up for me. I like the vintage knobs on the '62 plus the strap button on the headstock.

With that said, I did what I always do, price versus looks/performance. I doubt I could feel or sound over twice as good with the '62 as opposed to the '60. I could get two of the '60s for the price of the '62.

16. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

They look the same to me. The '62 looks slightly darker and has different knobs. So I voted for it.

17. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I like VVT and I prefer the finish and pickguard of the 60

18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    62RI, I get weak in the knees for stack knobs, and especially love my fullerton.

19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    No, you hook a strap to it. Yes.

A lot of guitar straps in the 50's and 60's were designed to wrap around the headstock under the strings behind the nut, because most acoustic and single cutaway guitars had no strap button on the neck heel.

Since many bassists in 1960 were guitarists, it was assumed by Fender that many of them would want to use a guitar strap. Many such "long straps" also were fitted with a punched end and could hook to a strap button.

Bottom line: Leo thought lot's of guitarists would want them. He was probably mistaken. Kinda like the "tugbar." Not that these things are useless or bad, it's just Leo was unable to foresee what direction the younger generation (Mine) would take things. :ninja:

Woody Guthrie:

k-Singer-Woody-Guthie-Performing-with-Guitar-Emblazoned-with-This-Machine-Kills-Fascists-Posters.

20. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I like the 60s better. The fingerboard will darken with a little oil. The pickguard can be swapped out. The burst on the 60s is just plain better.

I had a '62 briefly and returned it. One of the major reasons was that the burst, while nicely done, did not look even remotely like a '62 should.