Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

strign-through, independent saddle or solid bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Balor, Jun 7, 2001.

1. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    Is any of these stringing technic better than the other? run down of the the pros and cons of each would be very appreciated

2. RockFiend

RockFiend

Aug 23, 2000
    errmm i"m no expert but here's a few things I've gather,,, sheesh I wish someone who REALLY knows what they are talkin about would reply, but anyways...

Run throughs give better sustain that independent's, butn in my experience it seems that strings break more frequently on runthroughs as they are stressed over the saddle's... I hav a P bass with independent saddle's but my brother uses an Ibanez with run-through's. He has broken E and A strings frequently.

This is all i know :)

3. There may be a bit more acoustic coupling of the string and the body with thru-body stringing. Depending on the bass, this could have an effect on tone and sustain. However, there are many very high end instruments that don't use this construction and they don't have any shortcomings in their tone or sustain. So, it's likely going to boil down to personal preference. I have 2 basses with and 2 without and prefer all of them! ; )

Rockfiend, your brothers experience IMO isn't likely related to the way his bass is strung. There isn't any more longitudinal tension on a thru-body than a bridge stop style. There IS more downward force put on the saddle in most cases because of the more acute angle at which the string approaches the saddle but this is only a redirection of a portion of the overall tension. I would seriously look closely at all of the surfaces that the string touches in it's path thru the body to the saddle. Are there sharp corners, burrs, or peculiar paths that the string encounters? My main clue is that he is breaking the strings with the larger cores rather than the lighter ones. Since all of the strings are experiencing similar tension, I would conclude that, perhaps, there is something else causing the breaks.