1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String 34" 5-string E-C

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mitchinboxer, May 18, 2012.

1. Mitchinboxer

Mitchinboxer

Jan 25, 2012
    OK, I am embarking on my first 5 string journey at the moment. It is a 34" scale. So, I was thinking about at least trying out an EADGC tuning. Is there any potential pitfall to this stringing? Also, what gauges should I use?

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Normally around .105 - .030 will work. With some variation, depending on how tight or loose you like your strings.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Try a DGCFA# tuning

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I recently did this. My advice is to get a balanced set of strings. I hated the higher tension on the top strings vs. the bottom.

5. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yes I'd say this one has come up a few times. Anyone ever had to adjust the neck or anything for the extra tension?

6. Mitchinboxer

Mitchinboxer

Jan 25, 2012
    I'm surprised there's actually no problems expected with it. Surely the nut would need to be changed out, right?

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    When I strung my Fender Jazz V E-C it didn't need a new nut or much of a neck adjustment. Just needed to reintonate.

8. You should check out circle k strings. They have balanced options for any tuning you could ever want. On a standard five string it may be recommended to get a nut cut for E-C tuning. The smaller strings might move in the nut if you don't. I have tried a .118 B in a slot big enough for a .135, but a .105 might have issues.

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I agree. A balanced set would be great.

Something like a .110 80 60 45 30 would be good. You can also custom make sets of strings at http://www.bassstringsonline.com/

That's where I order my stuff. They've got D'Addario, Dunlop, DR, GHS, Ken Smith, Dean Markley, Labella, and Rotosound singles. He may be able to get others like SIT as well. The Circle K's are good strings and many use them, I just didn't like them.

Great service and great prices.

10. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    I use GHS's boomers E-C set. from juststrings. I have had a bass tuned like this for years. 100-30

11. La Bella Slappers are pretty well balanced for an off the shelf set of strings. If bassstringsonline.com can do a custom set for your desired tuning definitely try them. They are the best strings I have ever tried, at least on my Zon Legacy Elite. The circle k's are also extremely close as they seem to have similar manufacturing techniques and tensions to the slappers, just with more top end, fundamental, and a little less growly. I have tried every style from Ken Smith, D'Addario XL, DR Highbeams and low riders, and Zon all on that bass. All in a matter of about six months trying to find the right tone. No other brand quite have what the slappers and circle k's do.

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    GHS makes five string sets with high C.

13. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I use the Thomastik Infeld jazz flats (E-C) on my old Yamaha BB5000 defretted bass. A Yummy Yammy, indeed. :D

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    For E-C flats, TI Jazz Flats are great and so are the Ken Smith Slick Rounds.