String advice please!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SlavaF, Apr 12, 2003.

1. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Well, I am looking for new strings, and I searched, but didn't really come up w/ anything specific to me. So I am looking for a 5 set of strings, mainly because I want to get a different sounds from my dead Ibanez strings (or whoever makes them, I got em on my BTB405). So I am looking for a prefferably .130 or .135 B string, so basically a medium gauge. Not too expensive (let's say no more than $30US), not like elixirs, and last a decent amount of time.

As for tone, I would like a growly sound, as I play rock and metal. Not too punchy, a fairly ballsy, growly sound.

I am going to go look for any mentioned strings next weekend, which should leave some time to think about it.

Thanks for any help!:)
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    That sounds like a pretty good description of DR Lo-Riders.

If you want something a bit warmer (but still with plenty of these qualities), I recommend Peavey Cirrus strings. Excellent quality and long-lasting.

I'd like to be able to tell you about Labella Hard-Rockin' Steels, but I ordered a set more than a week ago and they're not here yet. :mad:
  3. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I actually went to a store today, unexpectedly, without looking at the replies. I got some D'Addario nickel wounds, .130 B.

Are these any good? The store I went to actually had Peavey Cirrus strings...
  4. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    i second the dr lo riders. im really happy and suprised with the sound out of my fender flatwounds also, and theyre pretty cheap too.
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    (my setup)

DR lowriders + Ampeg = mucho growl
  6. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

I don't think you'll get 'that sound' you're looking to hear from the D' Addarios... especially with the 'softer' metal of nickel wound strings.

I recently used a set for show I was playing that had a fair amount of older rock and Motown numbers. My usual set of Markley Blue Steel roundwounds were a bit on the bright side for that type of music.

Perhaps, the Markleys, are something worth looking into??

michael s.
  7. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB

Do the Blue Steels come in 5 string sets? Never seen one. Although I used a 4 set on an old bass... nothing really special, IMO. Oh well, the Daddarios are going dead, so they sound a bit better. :D
  8. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

Yes, the Dean Markleys do come in 5-string sets... although not as wide a variety as their 4-strings set;

LT: .045 - .125
    ML: .045 - .128
    MED: .050 - .128

Good luck and hope you find the answer to your problem... michael s.
  9. Hi Masterbasser,

I guess I'm a little late but here's my 2 cents.

I have a BTB 400QM and last year I've been trying all kind of strings to find the "ideal" strings. So far its either DR Hi-Beam or DR Sunbeam.

I think the Sunbeam complement the BTB sounds perfectly. They are also quite good with slap. And I find the BTB more versatile with them on.

The Hi-Beam are really good too but give the bass a more "Hi-Fi" sound.

I now alternate between these following my mood :)