1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String advice sought

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NeilGB, Mar 19, 2013.

1. NeilGB

NeilGB Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2012
    SF Bay Area - East Bay
    I thought I had found a great set of strings with the DR Marcus Miller strings. I started to fit them to all my basses.

However, I find that after a while they become loose and feel too bendy for the right hand fingers to slip across them easily. This is especially true on a 34" scale bass.

So I am looking for a string that is in the same tone territory as these but has a little more tension. I have a Benavente SCD that needs new strings.

Any recommendations?

Thanks
    Neil

2. I'm unfamiliar with those strings and their tone. Could you elaborate a bit on that?

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    They are also called DR FatBeams.

The closest thing would maybe be LoRider Steels which are hex core instead of round core, so they are stiffer.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    +1. I think those are exactly what you're looking for.

5. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Yeah, what you described not liking is a trait of roundcore strings. Buy a similar-sized hexcore, a la Lo-Rider steels, before you try any other changes.

6. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Interesting. FatBeams are my favorite string. I tried the Lo-Riders but thought they lacked some of the high end of FatBeams and were a bit thumpy.

I've tried so many strings and one recent little gem I found are the Dean Markley SolidBass string. Nice even sound and work for different styles including slap.

7. basmicke

basmicke

May 31, 2008
    LoRiders 45-105

8. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I would check out Sadowsky blue label steels. More tension than the Fat Beams (more like Lo Riders), a bit grindier in the hi mids probably. Great, great and long lasting strings IME/IMO.

9. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Lo Riders are an OK possible choice. They have a hexagonal core and are wound at a "standard" speed. Fat beams have a round core and are wound at a slower speed which should give them a more flexible feel BUT... I have found (and many other players agree) that the Fat Beams have a more even feeling of string-to-string tension than Lo Riders. What you're looking for is a tight RESPONSE and even tension feel in a S.Steel string. I recommend that you try a set of Fodera Diamond Series Stainless Steel. You can get them in a standard .045 - 105 gauge or a Light Top balanced gauge of .044 - 106. AMAZING response for low-end support, cutting solos and Slap!

10. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Fodera Diamonds are a great suggestion! I found them similar to FatBeams but with a bit more mid range and a less 'sticky' feel.

11. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Exactly what I noticed as well! Foderas are also round-core and compression-wound like DR's but the core/wrap ratio, wrap structure and wind speed is different. Fodera puts the same level of detail and R&D into their strings as their basses.

12. NeilGB

NeilGB Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2012
    SF Bay Area - East Bay
    Thank you for all the in sights and help. I ended up putting DR Lo Riders on the 35" scale Benavente and Sadowsky Blue steel on the Sadowsky UV70.

Both sets work really well. Especially the blue steels. The UV70 was very bright before, now it has great body and the right amount of highs and breath.

Cheers
    Neil

13. MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Always nice to have corroboration!