Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String advice?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Hi, I've read the FAQ and while it gave me some ideas I thought I'd still benefit from starting a new thread.

I am looking into picking out a new set of strings for my bass as my old strings are completely dead and sound absolutely awful. However, there are so many different brands and types of strings that I do not know where to start, and I don't have the money to experiment.

I'll try to summarize what my preferences are as much as I can from here so I hopefully I will receive some appropriate suggestions.

Price/Life:
    I'm not a serious bass player (just jamming with friends once in a while) and I have cheap equipment (yorkville 400B, peavey 1x15 Black Widow, Ibanez GSR200) so I don't want to spend too much and I would like a string that will last as long as possible.

Playability:
    I definitely prefer lighter gauge strings. I've only played nickel roundwounds and I don't think I would want more rough strings so stainless steel is out, but would flatwounds work alright on my fretted bass?

Tone:
    I like the punchy sound of new strings better than when they are dead, but I don't want anything too bright - yet I worry that flats would be too dull for me. Is there anyway I can hear sound clips of the difference between the two?

I've only used two sets of strings in my life - one a set of Ernie Ball Slinky (.50-.105 I think) and the other a set of the cheapest strings I could find, also nickel I'm sure, a lighter gauge than the Ernie Ball strings, but I have no idea what brand. I think they had a picture of a wolf howling or something like that :), sound familiar to anyone? I liked the cheap ones better than the Ernie Ball strings because they were a lighter gauge, but I would be willing to spend a bit more if a different brand would sound better and last longer. Two strings I've heard good things about are GHS Brite Flats and DR LoRiders.

I know that was a mess but I really am clueless, hopefully someone can help me.