1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String advice?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lloyd Christmas, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Hi, I've read the FAQ and while it gave me some ideas I thought I'd still benefit from starting a new thread.

I am looking into picking out a new set of strings for my bass as my old strings are completely dead and sound absolutely awful. However, there are so many different brands and types of strings that I do not know where to start, and I don't have the money to experiment.

I'll try to summarize what my preferences are as much as I can from here so I hopefully I will receive some appropriate suggestions.

Price/Life:
    I'm not a serious bass player (just jamming with friends once in a while) and I have cheap equipment (yorkville 400B, peavey 1x15 Black Widow, Ibanez GSR200) so I don't want to spend too much and I would like a string that will last as long as possible.

Playability:
    I definitely prefer lighter gauge strings. I've only played nickel roundwounds and I don't think I would want more rough strings so stainless steel is out, but would flatwounds work alright on my fretted bass?

Tone:
    I like the punchy sound of new strings better than when they are dead, but I don't want anything too bright - yet I worry that flats would be too dull for me. Is there anyway I can hear sound clips of the difference between the two?

I've only used two sets of strings in my life - one a set of Ernie Ball Slinky (.50-.105 I think) and the other a set of the cheapest strings I could find, also nickel I'm sure, a lighter gauge than the Ernie Ball strings, but I have no idea what brand. I think they had a picture of a wolf howling or something like that :), sound familiar to anyone? I liked the cheap ones better than the Ernie Ball strings because they were a lighter gauge, but I would be willing to spend a bit more if a different brand would sound better and last longer. Two strings I've heard good things about are GHS Brite Flats and DR LoRiders.

I know that was a mess but I really am clueless, hopefully someone can help me.