1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String advice

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Bleecker, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Bleecker

Bleecker Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    I have a aluminum upright bass. I recently had the peghead repaired and I'm starting to play it. Electric player for 20 years. I'm having a blast with it. I play blues in the tradition of Willie Dixon. The luther said the strings on it are fine. The bass does sound good to me also. They are steel strings. Any advice on strings to use? Thanks Bleecker

2. Have a look through the threads in the string section of TB, loads of sugestions there. you could try the sites of Thomastik, Pirastro or D'Adario. Even URBob has loads of info on strings on his site. The choice is endless and it depends on whether you play pizz or arco what string you should choose.:meh:

3. The luthier says they're good?
    You like them?
    An advice: don't look further, you may regret it! :)
    (at least your wallet!)

Give us the silk colors at both the tailpiece and peg ends, so we can ID them.
    Next time, just buy another set of these.

4. Bleecker

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    Thanks guys, The strings are red at the tailpiece and yellow, blue, grey, green EADG. The're steel and soft to the touch like electric round wounds. I just installed a Bass Max pick-up, It sounds pretty good through my SWR Strawberry Blonde amp, although I can't turn the gain up much at all. Any ideas? Thanks.

5. These are Super-Sensitive Red Labels.
    Economic strings.
    Maybe a bit stiff due to the solid steel core, but if you're comfortable with them...
    The important thing is that you are satisfied!

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Francois is right. If you're happy, don't start fooling around with strings. It would be cheaper and more productive to try heroin. There is no methdone for string adicts.

7. Bleecker

Dec 21, 2006
    Etown NY. USA
    I haven't been playing DB for very long, maybe a looser string would be better. Any suggestions?

8. Welcome to the dark side! ;)

What kind of tone do you want?
    Dark?
    Bright?
    Lots of sustain?
    Thumpy?

Are you playing with a bow too or just pizz?
    If so, what ratio? (50/50, 80/20)

You've be warned though! :D

9. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I definitely think a looser string would give you a better response...or you might like a higher tension string better. You should try both. You may also want to go with a string that offers good sustain, but you'll need to spend some time with some darker, more "woody" strings with a lot of fundemental for contrast. Definitely go with a steel string, however, there is nothing like classic gut strings. There are some great strings on the market now, though that wrap chromesteel around either gut or perlon, you don't want to miss those! Wow, this is exciting!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021