1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String alignment in vintage saddle

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jake gear bust, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Jake gear bust

Jake gear bust

Aug 21, 2019
    hey I have an American professional precision bass. It has vintage style saddles. Many notches to choose from when restringing. Just wondering if there is a rule of thumb. I was looking to get the string as straight as possible but on the g and e string either notch I choose is a little off from straight.

2. Jake gear bust

Jake gear bust

Aug 21, 2019
  3. My rule of thumb is how the strings align with the pickup pole pieces.

WJNSJdCDRY9TNLew4ZJamn82RIYInNdFeKqyQxcW0OkEyBH2fj-jN4pmn9ofkkfHt2GDtuzM-rkCyOsLyH9fEnvM=s644-no.jpg

Jake gear bust and Linnin like this.
  4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I have the same and it's really very easy. Put them all in the middle notch. Put your head directly over the pickup and look straight down at the pole pieces. Adjust the string position until it is as close to centered as possible. That's all there is to it! It won't be perfect, but it will be close.

Jake gear bust likes this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    ^^^ This Is Correct ^^^

Jake gear bust and michael_t like this.
  6. Jake gear bust

Jake gear bust

Aug 21, 2019
    Worked perfect guys!! A string and d string are the space beside the screw. E string is just left of the screw by 1 notch and g is just right of screw by 1 notch. Well done!!

Linnin likes this.