1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String alignment: Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gregorybarbosa, Aug 3, 2017.

1. The G string looks a bit strange to me.
    tumblr_ou545fh5_Px1r70wioo3_1280.
    tumblr_ou545fh5_Px1r70wioo2_1280.
    tumblr_ou545fh5_Px1r70wioo1_1280.

2. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    The neck is crooked on the body, and needs to be re-aligned. That's about as clear an example of this condition as I've seen.

Slacken the strings a little bit, not all the way loose, just down a few steps. Loosen the four screws that attach the neck to the body. Just one turn. Then push the headstock sideways, towards the treble side, while bracing the body against something. The neck will shift slightly in the pocket. Watch the strings where they cross over the heel of the neck. Shift the neck until the strings are centered over the heel; about the same distance from the G to the edge and from the E to the edge. Tighten the neck screws and tune it back up.

3. Will I need to do a full setup on the bass again after fixing the neck problem?

4. Last Rebel

Last Rebel Lone Wolf - No Club Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    I also can see it on the E string

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Probably not, but check your settings and readjust if needed.

Doner Designs and arbiterusa like this.
  6. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Mr. Johnson has it right, and it should not require additional setup. I've done it plenty of times. Bass Chiropractic. It's amazing how much the neck on a Fender can move.

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    That's definitely going on, but whomever replaced that nut also cut the slots incorrectly.
    The G slot is way too far from the edge.

Lownote38 and Turnaround like this.
  8. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Yessir! I'd get a new nut first before trying to align the neck.

Lownote38 likes this.
  9. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I was just about to mention the nut issue. That slot for the G isn't in the "right place" and is adding to the string alignment issue. I do agree that after a new nut is put on it, the neck should be realigned.

10. This is how it's looking now. It looks better, but now I have a fret buzz starting in the 12th fret of the E string that goes all the way down. Is it easy to fix? I can't afford a new nut now, these things costs a lot in my country (1400 american dollars for a Squier Classic Vibe 50's bass, for example).

Thank you guys for the patience and the willing to help.
    ________
    Edit/Correction: All the strings are buzzing, almost all over the neck. Jesus Christ.

3Tpo134.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  11. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    I don't think nut can be responsible for anything other than open string fret buzz, try raising string action a little.

12. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    $1400 for a Squier??? In what country do you live?

13. I'm not having buzz when I play open strings.

14. I live in Brazil :help:. This one looks like a Squier CV, but it isn't.

15. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    Yeah, so nut is not causing the problem

Sounds like your neck is too straight, it should be slightly bent so strings have some room to move.

16. So I need to screw again the neck or should I need to adjust something in the truss rod?

17. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I disagree with this a lot. Yes, physics is involved, and unless you pluck like a maniac, you can have a flat neck, with really low action, with minimal buzz. Depends on who made the bass. My Cirrus basically plays itself and doesn't complain, sooooo depends on the workmanship/construction, imo.

CentralCoastBass likes this.
  18. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    You are entitled to your opinion, but just know that you are in disagreement with close to 100% of luthiers.

bolophonic and Lownote38 like this.
  19. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    Sorry - yes, turn the truss rod left a bit. Lefty-loosy, righty-tighty :thumbsup:

20. Turnaround

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    I'm not sure how Jesus will be able to help you, but you clearly need to set up the bass. There are good guides on Talkbass if you feel up to doing it yourself.

96tbird and Flippy like this.