1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String alignment - Lakland Skyline

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jhass, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    I don't know why I never noticed this before, but the strings on my Skyline 44-51 seem to be off center, at least on the nut end of the neck. The neck bolts and bridge screws are tight, and I've never loosened them.

Suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    It does look a bit funky, but if the strings were exactly centered at the nut, the thicker strings would be closer together than the thinner ones.

It's fine as is. It's just more visible at the third fret.

Don't sweat it. :)

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Normal...leave it alone.

Riis

4. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks. By normal do you mean that is how it is supposed to be (i.e., it is designed that way), or do you mean that this is within the normal "margin of error" for a 4-string bass?

5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    A fussy builder would put the dots slightly off centre to compensate for the differences in string diameter. But your string spacing looks right - there is no error.

mech likes this.
  6. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    Got it. Thanks!

7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Dots are centered. The strings are not nor are they intended to be to accommodate / compensate for the varied string gauges and spacing. This would be more acutely evident in a 5 string if the string slots were equidistant: the "crowding" among the B / E / A would hinder playability.

Good observation on your part!

Riis

8. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    Thank you for the clear explanation - it is very helpful.

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    right.

ignore the dots, what matters is the spacing from the outsides of the strings to the edges of the neck.

img_0863-.

maybe you could loosen the neck screws and pull the neck over towards the bass side a little (and re-tighten), but not much.

10. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks. The neck pocket on this bass is super tight - no visible gaps. I can't imagine there would be any room to move. I'm gonna leave it alone.

aguacollas and Zooberwerx like this.
  11. Bodeeni

Bodeeni Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    NYC
    Even with what seems like a tight pocket, it is pretty easy to move the neck enough to change this amount of alignment. this type of adjustment is as common place as adjusting your bridge.

walterw likes this.
  12. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    Thanks

13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

It's done for a reason: that when you're shredding the bass onstage, all the wimmens down on the dance floor view it at an angle and it appears they are perfectly placed dots and you look perfect to them. We bass players need all the Jhelum we can get.

/humor. :bag:

Edit: Jhelum? LOL, should be HELP. What a strange typo. I'm leaving it.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    aguacollas and mech like this.
  14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I always space my slots at equal distances because your fingers press the string in the center, not the outside edges. It makes no logical sense to space them so the gap between each string is equal, and the larger gauged strings have a wider spacing than the smaller ones.

15. Jhass

Jhass

Dec 21, 2013
    Aha! I knew it was a design feature.

16. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Love to see a pic of one one the basses you've built like this. Color me curious.

17. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Its not at all uncommon. If feels more natural for your fingers to come down on equal string positions
    maple%2BJ_5.

aguacollas likes this.
  18. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Nice! Thank you!

19. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i've thought about this, and you make a good argument.

it could very well just be a thing where techs space out strings with equal gaps instead of equal centers because it looks less "funny".

there's folks that tend to do the proportional notch spacing at the bridge end of teles and LPs (where that's possible) but i've always done that equal centered too, on the premise that with the distances apart and the thinness of the strings involved the picking hand is really aiming for the centers and there's no advantage to trying to factor in string thickness.

for nut spacing layout i use that stewmac tool that gradually widens the marks as you slide along, which makes it easy to get just the right overall spacing for a given nut but inherently creates wider spacing between the bigger strings. convenient and consistent.

it makes me wonder if the difference at the nut is mostly negligible either way.

20. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    In all fairness, I went back and looked at a handful of my fivers and found I have a mixed bag. The majority have the A string centered (per alignment with the position markers and confirmed via pocket rule). The glaring exception is the Pedulla Rapture where the A string slot is cut a full 1/16" to the right / treble side. If I hadn't been looking for it, I would never have know otherwise.

Riis