1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

String alignment - Lakland Skyline

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jhass, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars

I lay out my string spacing in CAD and it automatically gives me the measurements. Then I use a micrometer to lay it out on the nut blank

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I suppose there are three things to consider here. First is the equal spacing that is based on the idea that you finger the centre of the string, so they should be equally spaced.

The second is that equal-spaced strings (centre-to-centre) may look wrong. The graduated thickness of the strings will make the spaces between them diminish as you move toward the thicker ones.

The third is how it feels. If we actually feel the strings at their centre line, the first option might make sense. But the fatter strings will feel closer together than skinny ones on the same spacing. And the second consideration is only valid for those who put more important on how thing look over how they play or sound. I really have to wonder why one would worry about the looks of the spacing - who's going to see it? Especially while you are moving around on stage - even in a cramped bar you are not likely still enough for an audience member to notice that there's a 5 thou difference in your string-to-string spacing.

The graduated string rule from Stewart MacDonald seems to address the varying concerns pretty well. I've used it or a similar rule for a long time. No one has complained about the way the spacing looks or feels. And I like it. So that's the way I will continue to approach spacing at the nut.

At the bridge it's even less of an issue IMO. The strings are spaced far more widely there and the difference string-to-string is far less obvious, whether you are comparing looks, feel or theoretical centre-to-centre.

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I've never had a complaint about laying strings out on even centers either. I honestly think that it probably doesn't really matter that much outside of the theory behind it. Center to Center just seems logical to me, but if I was being honest, If I were playing it I probably wouldn't feel much of a difference either way.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021