String alignment problem (Fender Modern player Jaguar bass)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jorge1234, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Jorge1234

Jorge1234

Jul 11, 2020
    Good day,
    So basically I've noticed the strings on my bass don't align properly with the neck, as the E string is really close to the edge of the fretboard while the G string is far from it. I tried to find out where the problem lies, but I haven't been able to pinpoint the cause. Maybe someone might be able to help! 4C05420B-DA7B-4402-B8AE-A1D2D95649D0.jpeg 2A7CF16B-9E65-43F2-ACA6-5BB339C5351D.jpeg FDB5D915-0C6B-499A-8CBC-81FAAB6E3614.jpeg image.jpg

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Slightly loosening the neck bolts and giving a tug towards the right / treble side may balance-out the real estate.

Riis

3. What @Zooberwerx said. Maybe detune the strings slightly, although it’s not always necessary. Loosen the neck screws a half turn or a turn and shift the neck over slightly. Then hold it all in place as best you can and tighten the screws. It’s a pretty common adjustment on bolt neck instruments. Although, I think you will need to pull the neck to the bass side but I could be thinking that through wrong. Fortunately, it’s easy enough to move it both ways and see where things line up.

Jorge1234 likes this.
  4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    No, pull it toward the treble side.

5. ricardol

ricardol

Dec 10, 2016
    5A400AC-656_800x.jpg
    Apparently, the screw holes of the bridge are poorly positioned. Replacing the bridge with one with 4 fixing screws, such as this hipshot, may solve the problem. The adjustable saddle allows for a side-to-side adjustment.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I am sorry my friend but this is wrong. The previous answers are correct. The neck needs a shift to the treble side. It’s a real thing with mass produced bolt on necks. Just like any other adjustments required, it includes aligning the neck.

7. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Ehhh, you got a misplaced bridge on that guy. Sorry bout your luck man. Run a piece of tape nice and straight off the bottom of your bridge, and slide it over. Drill and screw. Or...just return it as defective if you can.

Oh, I see it now. It is your neck. Notice how everything else lines up great. Go with what the other guy said about shifting the neck. ...or just return it as defective.

Jorge1234 likes this.

8. Right. I get that right when I’m actually doing it but I get it backwards when I’m trying to picture doing it. :facepalm: :D

Jorge1234 likes this.
  9. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Bridge screw holes are drilled in a template or by CNC machines. There is no way that the bridge can be misaligned by more than maybe a millimeter which would have no effect to string alignment that couldn’t be remedied by aligning the neck.

These fables of “misplaced bridges” are unhelpful to uninitiated people when solving this common issue with bolt one.

10. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The bridge is fine!
    Do the maneuver where you loosen the neck screws, while leaving it tuned, pull the neck to align it better, hold it there & tighten the neck screws.

Jorge1234, JGbassman and Turnaround like this.
  11. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Looking at the pic, I can see ~ 1/16" of the pocket extending beyond the neck margin (treble side) so this may support the misaligned neck diagnosis. I would remove the pickguard as it may be an impediment.

Riis

12. Jorge1234

Jorge1234

Jul 11, 2020
    Hi again, thanks for all your feedback it's really appreciated.
    So, update, I tried taking the pick guard off, loosening the neck screws half a turn, pushing the neck towards the treble side and then screwing the neck up again while keeping pressure. But it doesn't seem to have helped, maybe I should have pushed harder or tried loosening the screws a bit more, but I think the problem might have been that I struggled to maintain pressure while I screwed the neck. I may try again tomorrow with some help from my father.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. Jorge1234

Jorge1234

Jul 11, 2020
    That's true, I also noticed that, but that just intrigued me more. As the gap is on the treble side, which I guess, would make sense if the neck was tilted in the opposite direction that we think it is, but if I'm trying to push the neck towards the treble side, wouldn't that just make the gap in that side bigger?

14. No. Pulling to the treble side will take away from the gap on that side. Trust us. We have done it in the past.

15. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No, you're attempting to tilt it to the right (treble side) which should create a larger pocket gap on the bass (E string) side.

I see this all the time and, frankly, if the strings aren't rolling off the edge of the fingerboard, the bass is at least playable. If particularly resistant to the suggested corrective action, I'd remove the neck just to better assess what addt'l steps are required. If beyond your scope of expertise, hand it off to a competent (not "trusted"...not "well known") tech.

Riis

96tbird likes this.
  16. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Dano Longhorn (2).JPG Epi EA-260 Bass.JPG If it were me, I think I'd slacken off the strings a little, first; then, loosen the neck screws maybe a couple of turns; and yes, push the neck over to the right (treble) side. If you need some help? By all means, ask your father. For what it's worth, this is an all-too-common problem; yes, I've had to do it, too; and no, it isn't just a Fender problem. Both of these basses needed some adjustment to get things lined up just right. If this doesn't fix the problem? I agree with Zooberwerx; take it to somebody who's competent at this kind of thing...:cool:

17. farace

farace Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I think the nut is cut wrong. You can try to adjust the angle of the neck by loosening the screws and giving the neck a tug, but it’s not going to affect the spacing right at the nut, which is where the poor spacing begins.

megafiddle likes this.
  18. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    No need to take the pickguard off.

It's not a push, it's a twist. You're not trying to move the neck left and right in the pocket. You want to twist the neck relative to the pocket.

If you loosen the four neck screws just enough, you can pull the headstock towards the treble side (the g string side) until the strings line up where want them. The neck shouldn't really try to move on its own. Then tighten the neck screws.

> I think the nut is cut wrong.

It looks normal.

- John

Lownote38 and 96tbird like this.
  19. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Not necessarily cut wrong, but it does look like the nut should be sitting more towards the treble side. The spacing is off along the entire length of the neck. And as you say, adjusting the neck at the body is not going to affect the alignment at the nut.

-

20. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Correct. By TWIST we mean grab the head of the neck and push it toward the treble side so the heel rotates in the pocket.

One Way likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021