1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String alignment question...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JiJ, Nov 13, 2015.

1. JiJ

JiJ

Aug 19, 2014
    Loughborough, UK
    I took apart my parts bass (no-name alder P body, Squier J rosewood/maple neck) for cleaning a couple of days ago, and threw it back together last night, but now my E string is very close to the edge of the fretboard (~1mm at the heel) and the g-string in quite far away (~8mm at the heel).

The nut seems to be in the same place (nothing hanging out an strings seem to be in correct place there) and I don't recall this problem being there before...

Is it possible the neck has bent sideways under no tension or something?

Or are is it more likely the holes on the body are slightly miss-aligned, an I did't notice?

And will playing with the neck slightly bent/turned cause any long term damage?

Thanks in advance :)

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Loosen the four screws holding the neck on slightly, reposition the neck so the strings are in the proper location and tighten the screws. You didm't say how far you 'took it apart' but yes, the neck very likely was shifted while disassembled.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You put your neck back on a little sideways. Do what sissy kathy recommended.

Then never take a bass apart to clean it again. There's no reason to ever do that unless you spill liquid into the neck pocket.

4. JiJ

JiJ

Aug 19, 2014
    Loughborough, UK
    I had a shim in the neck pocket, but I removed it (Which is why I removed the neck). Thank you both I will do this at the next opportunity