1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Alignment Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SabreChris, Mar 22, 2009.

1. SabreChris

SabreChris

Mar 19, 2009
    This is a carryover from another thread I was not able to post in, but regarding the high and low strings not being equally spaced from the edge of the fretboard, this is a GOOD thing.

I am a 20 year guitar player and I find that on Ibanez guitars, there seems to be a tendency, not unlike the fender bass, for strings to be closer on the treble side. I just checked four Ibanez Sabres, and 3 of 4 of them have an _identical_ tendency towards the treble size. It has to be by design.

A player NEVER bends up on the high E string and I find that there is more vertical "slop" from technique on the lower string. When a finger lands on the string, there is more a tendency to push it up -- there is ZERO possibilty of pushing it down accidentally. The low E string benefits from having more fret. You absoltely do not want the low E getting puhsed off the board because it is too close to the edge.

I think instead of being anally retentive and trying to satisfy what we perceive to be visually correct, what is more playable is important here.