Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String and buzzing

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by kurt, Nov 19, 2004.

1. 6 months ago I decided to try some corelli 370 medium strings on my bass.I didn't mind them but a horrible buzz started happening on the A string from C right up to about E.I left them on for about a week but they didn't get any better so I put on a set of helicore orchestra lights.That got rid of the buzz but after a month or two a horrible buzz started happening on the G string from B flat right up to F.I decided to try out the corelli's again and the buzz on the G string was gone.Not only that but the buzz on the A string is gone now too.Has anyone out there experienced something similar to this?I thought the corelli's would be worse because they are lower tension than the helicore's.Could the Helicore G string be faulty?If anyone has any thoughts on this let me know.

2. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Is that arco or pizz? My guess would be that your fingerboard has some uneven spots and that it needs some work. Certain strings bring out the imperfections more than others.....for example I just put on superflexible on one of my basses and I noticed some buzzes that weren't there with obligatos.
    -Del

3. It's pizz playing that I notice it most on.If it's only the fingerboard causing it why would the buzz on the A string with the corelli's go away after putting them back on?

4. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Maybe your bridge isn't in quite the same place. For example, a little to the right (E string) will create a bit more clearance for the A and E strings.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Maybe it's just the top moving around with the seasonal changes.

6. After leaving the Corellis on for a while they've started buzzing more.Does anybody have any experience with flexocores?I was thinking about trying the Flexocore thin.Do you think they would buzz less?

7. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I had corelli's on a while back before I switched to Kolstein Heritage. E & A strings used to buzz like mad in the areas you described. It was due to high spot on the FB. Got it shaved down and the problem went away. I would imagine cuz they're low tension that it prob causes buzzing.

I'll reiterate again that maybe you should get some work done on the FB. Maybe you can go back to the luth and tell him that you want more of a pizz specific setup and tell him about the buzzing problems you're experiencing. Otherwise, maybe raise your action a little? That helped me a little bit before the fix.

8. A while back I did get some work done on the fingerboard.The guy charged me $500 and put aside some other projects to get it done quick for me.After I got it back it seemed fine at first but when I put but after I played it for a while discovered the buzzing areas.Whats more it seemed like the buzzing got worse after the strings settled in for a few days.I took the bass back to the repair guy and he said he thought he had done a great job on it so I showed him where it buzzed when I played.I left the bass with him for a day but when I got it back there wasn't a change at all.I then had to leave on tour for a couple months so there wasn't anything else I could do.My action isn't extremlely low but I did raise it and it didn't help.I don't know what to do now,I think maybe the job is beyond this guys ability but there is no one else in my area to take the bass to.