1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String Bar?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Dan Knowlton, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    Where do I get a string bar for a 5-string I'm assembling? The only ones I see are for guitars.

I've got almost all of the parts and will be starting on assembly soon. Neck is a Warmoth 5 with an ebony board and the body is a jazz body with quilted maple and a transparent black finish. Should be nice.

Dan K.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    What's a string bar? Do you mean a truss rod?

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Warmoth sells them in the hardware section.

4. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    No, I mean the string retainer that goes between the nut and the tuners. Sadowsky and a bunch of other use a bar that goes across the headstock rather than the button that Fender uses. It gives more of a down-angle from the nut to the strings.

I saw the ones at Warmoth and was not sure that they would be wide enough for the neck, since they were listed for guitar. Since I don't play that instrument with the cheese-cutter strings I did not know how the neck on a guitar and a 5-string compare in width.

So, are the ones at warmoth wide enough for the deluxe 5 neck?

Dan K.

5. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    You can make one from the metal stock they sell at home depot.