Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String bass tone, from an Electric bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassplayer5115, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Hey guys, do you know of a bass that has a nice earthy tone, and has that nice woody, string bass tone?

I played a bass the other day but i guess it is JUNKED. neck could not be fixed..its to bad, but anyways it gave off a LOVELY earthy tone. very woody, and I liked that sound. Sounded a lot better than a flashy, bright, active bass.

anyone got any ideas?

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    If by string bass you mean upright, then yes it's not *too* hard to get that type of tone. One of the best ways to get that type of sound is by using the James Jamerson set up. He used Fender P Basses with string dampeners and flatwound strings. If you found a fretless P Bass with those features it'd probably sound even more like an upright.

-Eric.

3. is there a certain type of wood maybe that gives it that soft earthy tone?

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The DeArmond/Guild Ashbory sounds very upright-like, esp. when you dial out the highs. It's the silicone rubber strings.

5. i know your just trying to help but.

those things are hideous..IMO

6. They sound like an upright better than most EUBs. They are hideous, but in a good way. They look like a little dog bone. And for 240 clams, it has a lot of jaw-dropping value.

Classic scenerio: show up at acoustic open mic night. set up. You will be watched. Plug in but don't turn volume up until you are in tune. Dial in the upright tone. Volume up. Play a riff or solo and end on a low E. Look up at audience. Smile.

I am glad they are hideous. Quite frankly, if the masses were used to them, it wouldn't be so cool.

The Godin semi-hollows might work for you.

7. the godin are nice, played one the other day...

can you tell me exactly what EUB means?

8. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Electric upright bass

9. "Electric Upright Bass"

10. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    EUB=Electric upright bass

11. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    p bass, flatwounds, string mute or muffler (foam under the strings near the bridge) fretless, higher then normal action..and you are there!!

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have one, and they're great for torch-song jazz- you know, stuff like "Someone to Watch Over Me", things of that ilk. Plus, people in the audience are amazed that this little "dog-bone" sounds so HUGE...I get so many comments on mine, like "I thought you were playing a toy!" or the classic "Since you used a MIDI track for the bass, I was wondering why you put that toy bass on and played air-bass..." No, it was really me playing. Yes, all that sound came from that "toy"... :D

13. interestign thanks guys

14. don't forget ya gotta leave those flatwounds on for years and years and years, after three or four years they might be getting close.

I'm not kidding either.

15. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    That's so very true, Nashville! The deader and less sustaining the better!

16. At this point it morphs into technique. Use as much of the surface of your finger as possible to pluck and pluck over the end of the neck. Put muscle into your left hand and you'll see what I mean.

17. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    I have a hollowbody MIJ P bass that can get very woody, especially with flatwounds or Labella tapewounds. Also, and this is a weird suggestion, I have found that plugging a bass into an acoustic modeling effect can produce some very interesting, uprightish tones (I use a Toneworks AX10A acoustic guitar modelling unit, but I've heard some people use the acoustic Aphex unit). Also, the Line 6 bass models an upright as one of its bass samples.

18. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    Flatwound strings, roll of that treble clank and use the fingers the right way and you can get a woody sound.

Just FYI, String Bass or Double Bass are the politically correct terms for the instrument. Upright bass is similar to calling a Bass Guitar a "Strap on" or "Fender" Bass. Some old school Jazz guys still call it "Fender Bass" :bag:

19. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I've heard some here say that a Lightwave equipped bass can sound like that......can anyone confirm this?