Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string BEAD on a Jazz neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Dec 3, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Has anyone done this with a Jazz neck. I'm planning on trying this with my Marcus Miller when it arrives to suffice for a 5 string, until I can afford a decent one. Is the neck wide enough to support this?

Also, will I need to the file the nut more, or will the strings be fine sitting in the old slots? I'm not wanting to have to mess with the nut, since I'm only going to be using it like this for a month or two.

~Patrick

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Yes. It will work great. Tim Commerford (?) uses a jazz set up like this.

You will need to file the nut.

3. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I had a Jazz set up like this for around 6 months...it felt okay but not nearly as stable as when I had it done with my P basses. Cummerford, has also said in articles that to accomodate the BEAD tuning in Audioslave he still uses the Jazz body as he did in Rage but to support the tension of the lower strings he opted for Rosewood boarded P necks.

On all of my basses, when I dropped from the standard tuning to the BEAD/CGCF I had to refile the nut and do a completely different setup.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Tim C's bass has a Precision neck.

Any clue on the cost of how much a new nut would be?

~Patrick

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Waat's been stated is correct. You need to refile the nut slots. Be careful, don't file the slots lower, only wider!!!!! The bass will need a full det up as well.

My natural Valenti Jazz is currently BEAD & I've had no problems

& my Geddy Lee Jazz was BEAD at one point & I have re strung it EADG & I didn't put a new net. It plays fine with the wider slots. I plan to re string it BEAD again.

6. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    FYI, stringing BEAD is actually lower tension than EADG, so a P neck is not "needed for the additional tension". However there may be a tonal benefit from the P neck, which is stiffer and heavier than a J.

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    You're correct...that's what I meant to say...you said it better.....you are the man and I am bowing down to your great ability! :D

8. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I didn't mean to sound condescending or anything-- I just wanted to correct a somewhat common misconception that B stringing might increase the tension. Some people have been mistakenly afraid of trying that setup for fear it would ruin their necks- which it won't.

9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Yeah, I read that and didn't understand it, but then he comes across as having some self-image issues where he needs people to think he's the keeper of bass secrets. I may be wrong.

10. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I don't think he was being sarcastic, it seemed more like agreeing with you while being irrationally exuberant :p.

11. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Man, I read one where he was truly paranoid that if anyone learned the "secrets" of his modded pedals and amps, he'd suddenly be out of a job. Kind of the opposite of the "[insert favorite player] would sound great no matter what POS he was playing" idea.

12. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Cummerford has...in my opinion one of the best, if not THE best, distorted bass tones I have ever heard. I do think however he is totally arrogant, I was "out" on him when I read that he was thought Geddy was trying to "cop" his tone. :rolleyes: Get real....Geddy was redefining music when Cummerford was having squashed carrots fed to him!
    Anyways...I think the transition to P necks over J necks with him came possibly because of the increased width when using the larger guage strings if only to give a little more area when fretting.
    And Pilot is the man....I was showing my enthusiasm for Pilot hitting the nail on the head as to what I was trying to say...but somehow couldn't word it correctly. Good times.....good times!!! :D

13. How about a .40 BEAD string set tuned 1 step up, C# F# B E, on a Warwick Streamer LX? Too much tension for the wenge neck?

Thanks

Pedro

14. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Assuming you mean a .040 BEADG set- an .040 set is fairly light, and so shouldn't be too bad when up-tuned; wenge is a stiff wood- I'd try it, keeping in mind that you will probably have to adjust the trussrod to counter the increased string pull.

If you want to calculate the tensions before you try it out, you can use the spreadsheet here.