String boiling info.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jun 1, 2003.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Finally, I took the plunge, tonight, and decided to boil my strings. While my girlfriend was here, I asked her if she minded, she said no, she didn't mind, so I started removing my bass strings. After this was done, I ran upstairs to my computer to look at a site to find information in regards to boiling my strings. I came across an article from that was a "how to" on boiling strings. The article can be found here:

After having used the strings for about 3 months, I had another set of Prisms that were 45-105's, so I just took and mix-matched the sets, the 45-105's were even older than my more recent 45-100's. I simply exchanged the A and E strings, so I'd get a mix-matched set of 45-105's again. To boil, using the instructions given in the link, with a tea spoon of salt and a bit of white vinegar, while letting them boil for 20 minutes, when I took them out; I grabbed them with some paper towels (as I figured a dish-towel would probably just dirty them again) and by the time I walked to my bass, they were dry.

Stepping back a few steps, while doing this I cleaned my fretboard and bass off (while the water was heating up), so I was starting with a very clean slate.

After doing all of this, the sound was just as punchy and clear as it was before.

I believe I like this even more than when they were new. I get the sound without the stretching.

I will note that I did use stainless steel strings, not nickel, so nickels may rust if left in for too long, but I'm not certain on the properties of all nickel strings, so I won't say that's a definite or anything. Just something to consider.

I know this subject has been covered, but I also know there's critics of string boiling.