Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String boiling info.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Jun 1, 2003.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Finally, I took the plunge, tonight, and decided to boil my strings. While my girlfriend was here, I asked her if she minded, she said no, she didn't mind, so I started removing my bass strings. After this was done, I ran upstairs to my computer to look at a site to find information in regards to boiling my strings. I came across an article from bunnybass.com that was a "how to" on boiling strings. The article can be found here: http://www.bunnybass.com/tips.shtml

After having used the strings for about 3 months, I had another set of Prisms that were 45-105's, so I just took and mix-matched the sets, the 45-105's were even older than my more recent 45-100's. I simply exchanged the A and E strings, so I'd get a mix-matched set of 45-105's again. To boil, using the instructions given in the link, with a tea spoon of salt and a bit of white vinegar, while letting them boil for 20 minutes, when I took them out; I grabbed them with some paper towels (as I figured a dish-towel would probably just dirty them again) and by the time I walked to my bass, they were dry.

Stepping back a few steps, while doing this I cleaned my fretboard and bass off (while the water was heating up), so I was starting with a very clean slate.

After doing all of this, the sound was just as punchy and clear as it was before.

I believe I like this even more than when they were new. I get the sound without the stretching.

I will note that I did use stainless steel strings, not nickel, so nickels may rust if left in for too long, but I'm not certain on the properties of all nickel strings, so I won't say that's a definite or anything. Just something to consider.

I know this subject has been covered, but I also know there's critics of string boiling.

Enjoy.