Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String brand and gauge for most mwah?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ted Salt, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Ted Salt

Ted Salt

Jan 20, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I am looking for strings for my Dean 5 fretless that would give it the most mwah. I have a feeling that along with a particular brand (compared to others), the string gauge may have something to do with it also. I think possibly a higher tension string might give a good string more mwah, but maybe I'm wrong here.

Please let me know what strings (and gauge) you use to get the most mwah.

Thanks in advance -

Ted Salt

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    String tension is always the same at a given pitch. What you mean may be called stiffness. So a lighter gauge may give you more mwah.

I think the setup, aka neck relief and string action are more important for mwah than the brand of string, maybe the only big difference being between nickels and stainless steel.

3. Ted Salt

Ted Salt

Jan 20, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Thx for the reply. Between nickel and stainless, would stainless give more mwah?

And how should the neck be set up for best mwah?

Thx for your help, I really appreciate it!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  5. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I get good mwah out of a G&L fretless with TI Powerbass rounds.

The lower tension seems to help...

6. Ted Salt

Ted Salt

Jan 20, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks for both your replies. I think I'm going to try DR Hibeams, and adjust the neck after I get them on. I may try the TI Powerbeams down the road, but I've seen alot of recommendations for the DR Hibeams, and I use Lo-Riders on my other basses (Dean 5, Guild B-50) and really like them. Just hadn't really messed with the fretless yet (it still has the strings that came with the bass when I bought it).

Thanks again!

7. Ted Salt

Ted Salt

Jan 20, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Whoops - meant TI Powerbass :confused:

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The SR2000s give a lot of mwaahhh. But not as much as the DR High Beams. Read my posts in this thread.

9. Ted Salt

Ted Salt

Jan 20, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Got me some hibeams put on. Taking 'em for a test drive tonight, practice tomorrow night, and Sunday morning ...

Thx all for the replies, I really appreciate it!

I still have to do setup and intonation for these, but that will have to wait until tomorrow ...

Thx again!

10. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Highbeems have good mwahhhhh, I've heard good reviews on a fretless with them.

11. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I used to Dr Hi Beams but have switched to Nickel Plated Dr Lo Riders because they are slightly less abusive of my fingerboard and theyy have a nice mid range bark in addition to mwah and zing.:D