String Breakage..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    How do you tell when your strings are are close to breaking? because i have situations before gigs where ive had a set of strings on the bass for about 2 months and have played about 20 gigs with them,

And before a gig i have wondered ''hmm these strings have been going a long time'' is it worth putting a new pair on?.. or waiting it out, and seeing if they will last?\

Just wondering if anyone knows any little signs of strings closing to breaking/uncoiling like tension or whatever?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If your intonation is off, or you can't get them to stay in tune...then change them. And you should think about your technique if you're breaking strings regularly. The only time I ever broke bass strings was waaay back, and I was using a steel pick by the bridge.
  3. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Well they stayed in tune, i just had used them a LOT 10 eight hour practices and about 15-20 gigs.. and a big gig was coming up, so i was quite cautious, but didnt know if there were ways of telling if they have had there time.. haha

Cheers anyway.
  4. AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    I've been playing bass for 35 years and never broken a string. And I don't have a real light touch. Something is wrong with your bass or your technique if you break strings.

I DID have one unravel on me once.
  5. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeah mine 'Unravel' thats what i basically call breaking (ive never had one snap! that would be brutal!) .. but after a period of time of practicing hard/slapping and popping and stuff thats what happen to mine, could be the bridge saddles being too sharp as someone else has suggested.. im not too sure..

6. TheBassBetween

Jun 25, 2005
    Just to be contradictory to the rest of the posters, I break strings fairly frequently. I've broken 3 G strings in the past 3 years I've been playing bass, but I assume they come from lower priced strings. I've never broken DR's or Blue Steels. Oh, also, I've broken all 3 of those strings playing slap, probably much harder than I needed to. I change my strings every 2 months, around, but that's because I love wasting money, and that new string sound a lot.
  7. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Yeah, G's are my most common, ive only broke about 2 in the space of 2 years, but there usually the first ones to go.. blatantly because there thinner, and my G is popped a lot..

I use Rotosound (.045-.105) swing bass, and sometimes Warwick red labels..
  8. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    In 12+ years of playing, I've broken exactly two strings. One when my bass fell over because I forgot to bring a stand to the gig (tied it up with a heavy guitar string and played it that way for a couple of months), and one with a very, very poorly executed pop.

If you're regularly breaking bass strings, look at your technique. If you're not doing anything abusive to the strings, you probably have a sharp edge on a saddle or some such.