String Breakage

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Erich Zann, Aug 14, 2000.

1. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    I seem to be the only bassplayer on the planet who breaks strings on a regular bassis. I usually go through a set a month, and the last one was exactly 2 week old. I play both with a pick and fingerstyle, and the last set was due to using mostly a pick. I've tried every brand of string I can find, and they all last the same. Any advice for longer srting life?
  2. Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    Dude, I dont think this is from using a pick. I've used all different kinds (yes, even the metal ones) and ive never broken a string with them. The only times ive ever broken strings were with old ones that didnt tune properly...yes, tune em too high and they WILL snap... I think this might be your bass thats causing problems. Maybe something in the nut or the tuners or the string saddles. Taking it in to get looked at would be a good idea. Out of curiosity, do you run strings that have the yarn stuff on them, or the ones that taper at the ends (prisms)? Hope this helps.
  3. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    I've tried both kinds of strings actually. They just keep coming unwound neer the bridge.
  4. Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    Well its probably your bridge then dude. Go get it looked at.
  5. frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I'm another one who has never broken a string. I can't even imagine playing so hard that a string would break. I suppose it depends on the "style" of music.
    I definitely wouold have the bridge checked out though. It sounds like that is the source of your problem.
  6. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    I guess I'll do that sometime this week then.
  7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I used to have the same problem. I had a local store keep E and A strings in stock just for me, since I'd burn through at least a couple a month. First thing to do is check out your bridge, just to be safe. Are you breaking any one string in particular? The real key is to pay some serious attention to how you play. When I was in my prime, I was really an aggressive finger player; I used to snap the strings off the bridge after a couple of weeks. It was one of those high-energy, fast moving kind of bands, and I just got caught up in the adrenalin. Look at where you hit the strings, and how you hit the strings. If you're like I was, the gauge won't make a big difference. And, just to help, make sure you clean off the strings after every show. I used to sweat a lot, so I used 90% alcohol after every show. If you have a lot of sweat (or highly acid sweat), you could be shortening the life of the strings. When all else fails, use GHS strings - they warranty the core, and will replace FOR FREE any defective strings. This saved me a nice chunk of change about 3 times a year.
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Make sure there are no sharp edges that could come in contact with the string.

I honestly can't remember the last time I broke a string and it's not because I'm getting older;) It might have been in High School.

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Ive gone months without breaking one, and then gone through
    3 .45ers in one day.
    Some days yur the windsheild and somedays yur the bug.
  10. Erich Zann

Erich Zann

Aug 14, 2000
    Well, I DO hit the strings rather hard, especially when using a pick. It's usually the E string that breaks. And I have tried GHS strings, but I don't like the way nickle strings sound.
  11. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    GHS strings makes a couple of different stainless steel sets also.
  12. Deicide666

May 1, 2000
    Dude, i dont know how u break strings playing with a pick. Maybe its just me, but i think you'd have to go out of your way to try and break them with some serious abuse... but thats just my $.02... oh yeah, Lovecraft kicks ass
  13. DownCaster

Aug 22, 2000
    do you tune down?? i used to go through a string a week when i first got my bass. i usually was in C tuning so the E string would snap just about every 7 days. a thicker gauge may be the answer. i have also found that for some reason the pick seems to chew up strings quicker than any other method of playing.
  14. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I sometimes break my 0.45 G string, but only typically when I am "popping" it. I have had one last 1 week and I have had one last 6 months. I guess it depends on how aggressively you play and "how" you play.
    I use DR Sunbeams and I like their sound so much that I don't plan to switch brands, so I guess I'll live with the occasional break.

15. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I've never broken a string, but then I do not have an aggressive style of playing. And I suppose it IS a matter of "style", isn't it? Because it really isn't necessary to strike a string so hard, as to break it.....:)
  16. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Hey Erich, This topic came up a couple months ago and I was the only person who breaks strings constantly. its good to hear that I'm not the only one anymore. I've always broken lots of strings, still do. Its not the bridge i think its just my technique or style or whatever. i dont mind it either.