1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String breaking problem

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basroil, May 4, 2006.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    I recently restrung my SX SJB 62 with Rotosound Swing 66s, the first time changing the strings since I got it. The next day, it was quite out of tune, so I started tuning it, but once I got to about Db or C on the D string it snapped! So I go out and buy another string, same thing happens. I now have another string on it about C, but Im afraid to tune it more in fear of it breaking again, because I can feel it getting tight.

As I said, the first time it was a Rotosound, then a D'Arddio, now a Ernie Ball, so it must be the bass.

Anyone ever exprience anything like this before? Know what might be wrong?

2. Never happened to me, but from what i've heard

Check the break angle of the string off the saddle, on the bridge. Check for sharp parts or anything that could break the string.

thats all that i know, hope i helped

3. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    The bridge is fine, I'm thinking it might be the little metal thing on the headstock the pushes the string down, but I don't know.

4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Sounds silly, but make sure you're tuning the right string and that it is the right pitch for that string.

Where is the string breaking? At the bridge?

5. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Im tuning it right.

As I said, at the metal thing wich holds the strings down. String retainer or something I think its called.

6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Yeah, then maybe there is a sharp edge under the string tree that's causing the strings to break.

7. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    maybe. Ill check it out.

8. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I used to break A String at the bridge of my bass, turned out there was a small burr on the saddle. I took a small round file and gently filed it out and I never had the problem again. The key is to know where the string is breaking, at the Bridge, the Nut or at the String Tree...