1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String "bumps"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassplayer222, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Bassplayer222

Bassplayer222

Jul 21, 2011
    I've had one bass for about a year and changed the strings once. Right over the fret for D on the A string, there is a weird lump. It's thicker than the rest of the length of string. This same thing happened over the F on my E string, though it somehow drifted towards F# until I replaced my strings with what I have now (The D bump formed sometime after that, not sure).

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Is the string its self bending? This can happen if you place the instrument against a hard surface and the fret pushes the string forward forming a hump.

So look at the bottom part of the string that goes against the fret and see if it is going forward.

or, the strings could just be old and ready to be replaced...

3. Bassplayer222

Bassplayer222

Jul 21, 2011
    It's not a bend from the fret, it's like a lump of sorts. Imagine those plastic things tied to rope to make it float in water.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Well, Sounds like the windings are bunching up. Strings are simply just old and need to be replaced.

5. rolleharris

rolleharris

Nov 10, 2002
    Falun Sweden
    Wow, you have changed your strings once i a year. I wish i could fo that to, but im to addicted to the sound of new ones

6. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I've had an experience the other way round. My cheap Ibby GSR200 EX came with crappy strings. The E-string was a little thinner over 1/4", halfway the neck. :eek: Proper intonation was impossible. Replacing them was the only option. I used to play some 100 hours before swapping strings, but I got used to the sound of broken in Chromes. Now I'm using a set of chromes, which must have had at least 200 hours. They are very stable and I wanna see how they evolve. :cool: