1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String buzz at the bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by k_hardy, Mar 8, 2021.

1. k_hardy

k_hardy

Apr 16, 2020
    Northern England
    Hi all.

Having problems with string buzz at the minute and can't seem to troubleshoot whatever's going on. I changed the strings on my Ibanez SR500 and performed a full setup - everything works really well except the A string. It's a little quieter than the others (can't be fixed by EQing), and there is loud buzz coming from the bridge. It's not fret buzz, I've altered the action to see if that makes any difference, but no. I don't think it's the nut or anything at the headstock end - it's predominantly louder at the bridge. There's nothing I can see that's loose that could be making the noise, and all the control knobs and switches are secure.

I genuinely don't know what it could be, and it's a real pain. If anyone has any ideas that'd be great.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Oooh ooh oooh! Another game of "catch a buzz"! I've got no clue, but subbed to find out. Someone here can surely figure it out...

k_hardy likes this.
  3. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I’ve had weird rattles at the bridge before too. It’s always ended up being the intonation saddle springs. Your experience may vary though. Also, play an open A and press the string down with a bit of pressure in between the nut and tuner just to make sure there’s enough break angle and that’s not causing the issue.

k_hardy likes this.
  4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Yeah, that's my guess too, a spring or maybe a saddle height screw loose. Something is vibrating and sapping energy from the string...

Element Zero and k_hardy like this.
  5. k_hardy

k_hardy

Apr 16, 2020
    Northern England
    Thanks, I'll have a look this afternoon. Hopefully that'll get it sorted.

6. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I'm thinking maybe a saddle height screw that's backed out to far, so that that side of the saddle rides right on the bridge plate, leaving the set screw without any pressure to hold it tight? Or a spring has become too compressed and needs to be stretched and reinstalled. My best guesses anyways. Good luck buzz hunting!

7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    33123028.jpg

he he hehe

8. k_hardy

k_hardy

Apr 16, 2020
    Northern England
    I've checked the break angle, and that's not the problem, and have adjusted the saddles in every way and still no results...I think strings off to have a proper look is the next step!

9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I suppose it could be a bad string somehow but that must be pretty rare.

k_hardy likes this.
  10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What you're hearing at the bridge could be originating somewhere else along the string path, including the afterlengths. Rule out the simple stuff:

*Make sure each bridge saddle is parallel with the base plate. Do not tilt in an attempt to match the fingerboard radius.

*Check your break angle at the nut...A strings are particularly bothersome on Fender-esque basses, maybe this applies in your case. 3+ wraps on the machine head post, the string should be "hitting the deck". Re-set your witness points. Should look something like this:

BlueSilks.jpg

k_hardy likes this.
  11. k_hardy

k_hardy

Apr 16, 2020
    Northern England
    Not sure if anyone is still floating about in this thread, but a new string solved the problem today. That suggests it was something with the string, which I am surprised by and still am not 100% sure what the exact problem was, but glad to have it fixed either way. Thanks for all your advice :)

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021