Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String buzz between 12th and 22th fret...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassPulsar, Jun 7, 2005.

1. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Hi fellows,

I own a Marcus Miller bass and this really is a very, very nice bass…

However, my strings (all 4 strings) buzz a little under the 12th fret (13th, 14th, and so on…). They don’t rattle between the 1st and the 12th fret…

How can I resolve this? Is this related with the truss rod? I’ve done some minimal adjustments and have it almost flat.... This is the way I like it… My action is also considerably low…

Thank you so much…

Best Regards.

2. That's a 'classic' problem with low action. It's usually fixed by a combination of two things.... when you tighten the truss rod to flatten the neck, you usually have to raise the string height slightly so that the strings don't buzz above the 12th fret. Usually, having a straight neck allows you to raise the string height enough so that this doens't happen, and your action will still be quite low. Secondly, every once in a while, you will have one fret that is just slightly high... so having your tech guy take a look at the frets and possibly do a very slight 'fret' leveling will also help.

3. BassPulsar

BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    Portugal
    Thank you very much for your advices...

Talkbass is the greatest... :)

Best Regards.