1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String buzz on fretless Kala U-Bass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kamealoha Maui, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Kamealoha Maui

Kamealoha Maui

May 6, 2012
    Not sure if it is my poor technique (just learning), string problem, or a defective instrument. I sometimes get a loud annoying buzz at first fret on A string (A#). Problem only occurs on A string. Attempts to modify my technique do not seem to make a difference. Playing a Kala fretless mahogany with Fender Rumble 30 Amp. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Is the string properly wound around the tuner? Is the string sitting in the nut comfortably? Try asking on the ubass megathread in the general forum. I'm sure someone would have a better answer.

3. Alembic7

Alembic7

Mar 13, 2012
    Atlanta and all northern Areas
    Author The Groove Monster Method Bass Guidebook
    Along with the possible suggestions by the previous poster also consider adjustment of the truss rod, the neck might be bowed toward the strings which could create a buzz.While playing the A# with your index finger stack your middle finger on top of your index finger to increase the downward pressure to make sure its not a pressure issue. Lastly play a A# on the E string at the 6th fret to create the same pitch, sometimes speakers that are damaged will buzz at certain frequencies due to damage to the voice coil. Hope this helps and good luck!

4. Kamealoha Maui

Kamealoha Maui

May 6, 2012
    Mahalo (thanks) to both of you for helpful suggestions. String seems wound ok and in the nut groove. So far putting added pressure on the index finder seems to help. The buzz has been inconsistent in the past. I will alternate playing A# on the first fret of the A string and 6th fret on the E string and see if there is any difference.

5. I agree with Alembic7 about checking the truss rod (if it has one). Buzzing at the first fret is one of the indicators of not having enough relief, so you would need to loosen it very slightly (about 1/16th of a turn each time) while checking for the buzz. I would not adjust it more than 1/4 of a turn, before checking for some other problem or getting some pro advice.

6. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Do you know what I mean when I say proper winding around the post? I'm don't know how long you've had it and how familiar you are with the particulars of it but the strings need to go on a very specific way and the windings are big problem if you don't do it correctly. If that's not done right not only might you have string buzz problems but the tuners could snap off. I've seen them in stores strung horribly with buzzing and bad intonation and tuners ready to shatter the headstock to pieces from the pressure of too many winds. Or it could need truss rod adjustment, but honestly if it's brand new and already havIng issues, I'd exchange it if I could.

7. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Truss rod - bridge saddle height. Learn how to or get a quality setup.

Not sure where you are in the world but where I'm at (New England) it's hot and humid one day and dry and cool the next. As such, my bass neck is quite finicky. The allen wrench in your friend - just make sure you learn how to use it properly!

Good luck.