Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

String Buzz!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 17, 2001.

1. I'm having some problems with string buzz on my jazz bass. I have the action set like I think it should be, not too high and not too low. Perfect for me. However, whenever I play anywhere from the ninth fret up I get a lot of buzz. If I keep my right hand close to the bridge I don't have as much of a problem but sometimes I want to vary my sound and play in different right positions.

Can I, or my local tech, do something to the frets to get rid of this buzz? Smooth them off or grind them down or something?

Thanks

P.S. I have a 1999 Fender American Jazz Standard

2. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    I would take it to a tech to check the neck relief.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It sounds like it needs a truss rod adjustment to me. Because you said it buzzes from the 9th fret up, it sounds like your fingerboard is closer to the strings up there than below that fret, in other words, bowed too much, your neck is shaped too much like this ( The reason the buzz often doesn't happen on the lower frets is because the nut is so close, as opposed to your upper frets and the bridge.

The safest thing to do is take it to a tech if this is new territory to you. But if you do, see if you can hang around and be there to watch when they do it. It's good way to learn.

If you're the adventurous type, you can adjust the truss rod yourself. However, if you do, don't adjust it either clockwise OR counter clockwise more than a 1/4 turn a day. It takes some time for the bass to adjust to the change in the rod, especially if your neck is a hard wood, like maple. I learned how to set up my basses by this trial and error method but I am also lucky I never damaged any bass I learned this on.