String buzz!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Cygnusx2112, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Cygnusx2112

Feb 20, 2006
    This is really annoying me!

When I'm playing bass, alot of the time i will get buzzing from the strings! I mostly use my middle finger for the left hand and I rest my thumb on the pickup closest to my chest while I play with my fingers.

Am I applying too much force to the strings when fretting them?

Any tips on how to stop this?

Also, what are good techniques on muting strings?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    There are a number of problems you could be having. You may not be pressing down on the string hard enough, or you may be "plucking" the string too hard. try a lighter touch with your plucking hand. Also, your bass' action may be too low for your style, or just too low in general. Also, the neck may be out of adjustment, and may need the truss rod adjusted properly for the right amout of curvature in the neck. If you don't know how to do this, any good shop should be able to help you setup your bass for your playing style. Good luck!
  3. You might try pressing the string closer to the fret. That usually gets rid if the buzz for me.

4. Digo

Mar 14, 2006
    Edinurgh, Scotland
    or not holding the fret down hard enough
  5. TheJimster

Feb 21, 2006
    Pensacola, FL
    dude I used to ahve the same problems (and still do occasionally!). As some said you need to press down harder on the string and play closer to the fret.If you are one of those "super pluckers" or person who plays with a pick it's gonna change the results of the sound of the note. I did a sound comparison of finger plucking, slapping, and picking. Huge sound differences in all three of them. SO take all the advice that has been given and use it to your advantage.
  6. mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    se se se se se setup! get one, infact run to the nearest shop and get it setup it will make your bass haooy.