1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

string buzz

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dvh, Jun 25, 2007.

1. I had a Godin A4 profressionally defretted and set up with a set of TI Jazz Flats. After a day or so I noticed the E string buzzing against the fretboard when fretting at the first and second frets marks.

The action was extremely low. The bridge is not adjustible on these basses (Piezo pickup) so I did a truss rod adjustment and took out a little relief on the neck. That fixed the E string problem.

What I've been noticing, though, is that at some positions on some strings along the board unless I press really hard on the string I get a buzzing, "mhahhy" note instead of a clear ringing note.

I'm not sure what's going on: technique? - I played an SR400 fretless for many months with no such similar issues - strings on that one were Fender flats; strings? - I've heard the TI Jazz Flats are very flexible - too flexible?; technique? - but I'm not doing anything wrong I'm aware of - like I say, never happened with the SR. Set up?

Thanks!

2. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Wow...I was just going to post a similar topic. I have some of the same buzzing on my defretted Guild Starfire with TI Jazz flats. My bass also has low action, but I haven't tried raising the bridge yet because it usually buzzes on the 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th frets on the E and A strings, so I don't think it's a bridge problem. i might try another set of strings and see what happens. It never did this with the old (GHS maybe?) flats that came with the bass, but two sets of TI Jazz Flats have done this.
    Any ideas anyone?

3. I believe it's actually an issue for the "set-up and repair" forum. Of course, string tension and flexibility may have an effect.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021