1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String buzzing.. Unknown problem. Help?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by charic, Nov 1, 2006.

1. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    Ive just fitted some new rotosound swingbass heavys on my fender p. And now im getting a horrible buzzing. But its only on the A string and only when i play it open string. I know its not the action and if it was the truss i expect i would of had the problem before change. The buzz seems to be coming either at the bridge or nut and im fairly sure its just beyond the nut. Does anyone have ANY idea how to solve this?

Cheers for any help
    Rik

2. Jeralya

Jeralya

Sep 7, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    it is almost assuredly in the way you wind them- make sure your string winds down and does not at any point touch itself in the final winding. i played for years winding however i felt like it and then one time it started buzzing after a string change. it only does it on my vintage p, its kind of weird.

3. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    all of mine start at the bottom and wind up toward the top. But from the tuning head this looks like how it SHOULD be done.. i have a feeling its not sitting in the nut properly as i have gone for much heavier gauge strings.

Cheers though and i will take it into consideration

4. The Craw

The Craw

Jul 31, 2006
    Always wind from the top down.

5. I had the EXACT same problem, I still have it, but I've learned to play around it mostly. I have the stock strings that came with my bass (Washburn Taurus T-14) I'm not sure what type they are, but it bugged the crap out of me for a good while.

6. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    If you fret a note and the buzz stops, try raising the bridge saddle a bit on that string, unless, like you said, it isn't fitting in the nut properly. How does the string fit the nut? too deep? or does it not fit because it's a much heavier gauge than you normally use? Is the nut in good shape?

7. I just put rotosound swing 66's on my MIM precision bass deluxe special, and had the exact same problem. after dicking around for a while I cut the string a little shorter and re-strung it and that fixed it up. probably because the string wraps lower around the tuner peg when there is less string, so it pulls it down tighter to the nut.

8. charic

charic

Apr 17, 2006
    Cambridge
    its solved now.. however im never goin back to that music shop because of sheer rudeness.

Took it into the shop, the truss had twice as much relief as needed (i refuse to touch the truss until im shown how sometime) also yes by some miracle i wrapped them the wrong way.

However they got really rude about the fact that i didnt buy the bass off them (altho i was paying for the work to be done :eyebrow: ) and who can blame me for £100 difference

Then to top it off, i asked how much for a bridge and pickup to be fitted (quarter pounder and BAII) and they said are you buying them from us. Told them i wasnt and they just ignored me from then on and gave me evils.