1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String change on a composite neck w/ truss rod. Truss rod adjustment necessary?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by osciphex, Apr 29, 2006.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    So lets say hypothetically I had a composite neck with a truss rod, like a moses neck. And lets say I want to switch from a high tension string set(fender 9050Mflats) to a lower tension string set (TI flats). Will this require a truss rod adjustment?

The moses website seems to suggest that the truss rod is purely for initial setup/installation purposes and isn't relevant in string changing. But I've heard that different composite necks are not equal in strength.. is this string change doable w/o messing with the truss rod?

2. I have a Modulus 6 string without a truss rod.. I know its not the same situation as you, but I've tried who knows how many different styles and sizes of strings on it and have had no problems at all. No problems that would require a truss rod adjustment atleast (which if it did, I would be SOL).

3. I have a Zon 4 string with no truss rod and likewise I don't see too much difference when changing string sets, or even changing tunings. The string tension is obviously different, but the neck doesn't seem to really move too much so I think you'll be OK - unless you go very, very light or very, very heavy. Try it and see!