1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String change

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lou Sinlar, Mar 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. I've recently dropped down a half step to save our aging singers voice, wondering if I should change my string gauge. Use mediums now. Any thoughts

2. What are you using now? Make - type - actual gauges?

3. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    In my experience a half a step is usually not enough to warrant a gauge change.

The increase in tension by going one gauge bigger will most likely be a lot larger than what you lost by tuning down that small amount.

4. The amount of loss in tension on a set of strings when down-tuned is largely dependent on their type and construction. A string with a large hex core tends to retain its tension better than one with a small round core. That said, if you're using a set of mediums right now, the chances are they will feel more like a light-gauge set when down-tuned half a step.

Just as an example, the GHS Pressurewound ML7200 (44-58-80-102) has a total tension of 169.3 lbs. for the standard tuning, while the M7200 set (44-62-84-106), when down-tuned half a step, works out to be 166.7 lbs.

As @FourBanger has pointed out, it may not be worthwhile to go up in gauge if you're already using a medium set right now.

shawshank72 likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If they feel too floppy to you or you're having trouble playing in tune, then yes. You're the only one who can answer that question.