String Changing

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Daily

3 vote(s)
  2. Weekly

2 vote(s)
  3. Monthly

19 vote(s)
  4. Every 2-8 months

65 vote(s)
  5. Every 9-12 months

7 vote(s)
  6. Only is one breaks

19 vote(s)
  7. Never Have

6 vote(s)
  8. whenever I feel I need to

39 vote(s)
  1. I was wondering, out of curiosity, how often you guys tend to change your strings, and also, why so........
  2. i doubt alot of people have the money to replace their strings everyday.
  3. I only change em when one breaks. I don't really like the sound of bright strings for some reason. Give me thump any day.
  4. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    i believe there was already a thread like this....or perhaps not....i dunno..anyway...

i just changed mine, the G broke. but that was because i began to dislike the thinness of them and just played like there was no tomorrow. .040 to .095s. so it broke, and now im happy with the .110s i just replaced em with... mmmmm...*vows never to buy anything below .105s again*
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I like my strings thumpy, but i still like to get some brightness out of them if needed. Therefore, i like using falt-wounds or half-rounds, and teh soudn usually starts to go south (in my tastes) after 3 or 4 months.
  6. I just changed the strings on both of my basses for the first time, but upon doing so I think I'll have to make it more regular. I'm really starting to like that bright string tone, stands out a lot better in the mix I think.
  7. usually a week or so after they sound at their best unfortunately
    about 2-3 months for TI's
  8. I used to use stainless steel Elites and changed em once a month . But now I'm using Elixir Nanowebs , every two - three months .

I am a new string freak . I need new string tone , or I won't play . Immature and silly , but simple as .
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    "Whenever I feel I need to".

I don't like new strings particularly, so I'm happy to leave 'em on for a while. But of late, I've been changing strings more often than I would, simply because I've been trying out different kinds of strings.
  10. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    I love the sound of new strings myself. Usually after they've been on and played for a couple of days. That's when they sound "perfect" IMHO. I was a longtime Rotosound swingbass user but have since become a die hard DR Fat Beam kinda guy. The DR strings seems to stay brighter for longer compared to the Roto's.

I change my every 3 or 4 months. Anymore than that is much to expensive :)
  11. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Is the "boiling strings" thing just a myth? Does it really bring strings back from dead?
  12. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
  13. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I find that strings start to give out on me at about week 3. I've found DR Fatbeams, my current favorite, don't last longer than any other string I've tried, though DR strings are reputed to last longer.
  14. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    The beauty of flats is that you don't have to change them except if one breaks.

And with Rotosound's special metal for flats, they stay fairly bright too - steel rounds I've had have gone darker than these in around month or so.
  15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I'm playing Roto-Sound "Swing Bass" SS strings, and they seem to hold up well. I'll know more about changing them, when I get a better Amp. It may reveal some tones I can't hear now.

Now I just replace them when they feel lifeless, or dull, no-flex.
  16. If my hands sweat alot at the gig, I can kill * a set of HiBeams in one weekend...:( Start out nice and bright, then after two nights of playing, "Thud, thud, thud." I get that dead, 'flatwound' sound out of round-wound strings.

* That fresh, out-of-the-pack ringy sound (i.e. rich with harmonic overtones) is totally gone....

I think roundwound strings sound perfect after about an hour of playing. (Rotos, HiBeams, boomers, you-name-it). Once they start to sound like flatwounds, I change them.
  17. Only if they break. I use flats so they arent very bright to begin with.
  18. I have a set of EB Slinkys on right now that are almost a year old. They sound like crap, but I can't bring myself to get rid of them- they're like family now.
  19. I change mine every 3-4 months. I use the Roto Swing Bass right now. They're too bright at first but they mellow out nicely.