String Chart?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by NJL, Jun 5, 2002.

1. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Has anyone ever seen a string chart consisting of tensions, material, etc.?

Maybe a chart with all major manufacturers....

2. My spreadsheet. Get it from my signature.

3. you have to put a Sting Ray tone in the Representative tones section!:D
  4. bassin4him

Apr 29, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Great resource Bruce!

This obviously took a good deal of effort to gather and present. Thanks.

Do you have any more info on Elixirs in the works?

5. I was interested to see such a list in a pack of TI flats I bought recently. For those strings, of course.

6. I'm always adding to the spread sheet. It gets little updates almost every day, whenever something new comes along.

I'm compiling a list of Stingray sounds over on the Dude Pit now, and will download a bunch of MP3 files based on those recommendations. I'll add the names to the spread sheet after listening to them.

My long range plan is to have a compilation of MP3 for different basses, different pickups, and various strings. I've started recording using my SWR IOD into my sound card, but I'm not getting the results I want yet. The sound card is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, but there seems to be some conflict between LINE levels of the SWR and the sound card. I have to drive hell out of it to get any decent recording volume, then the quality sucks.

I'd like to figure out some sort of scale/jig that would let me measure tension of various strings when tuned to pitch. For some reason, I'm really digging the feel of Fender 9050M stainless flats, but there is no data on tension. Ditto for Rotosound.