1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String Choice for Jazz/Rockabilly

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by sadwinkey, Aug 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sadwinkey

sadwinkey

Aug 12, 2017
    Hey Everyone!
    So I am fairly new to Upright bass. I bought a used Cremona 3/4 size bass about 2 years ago to gig with, and have really been enjoying it! (Wasn't looking to invest in an expensive one, and have it get beat up in the sleezy bars my band plays in :p)

I invested in a set of Zyex strings, Medium Tension. At the start, we played mostly jazz, and some folk music, and these strings have been great for that. But, recently we've added some rockabilly-esque covers to our sets. While I really love the Zyex strings, I feel they're too high tension to slap.

What suggestions would ya'll have for a set of strings that would be easier to slap, yet retain a bit of the characteristics that make them suited for Jazz/Folk?

The two sets I have my eyes on are the Eurosonic Lights, and the Thomastik Superflexible SOLO Gauge. I have also been considering a light set of the Zyex strings.

What do you think of these sets for the styles that I am pursuing? Feel free to make suggestions for others that you think would be better :)

2. bskts247

bskts247 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    If you're not using a bow try some innovation strings. I like the Super Silvers but they are thick strings meaning you need to get the bridge and nut widened by a luither.

Maybe try the Innovation Braided strings or the Evah Pirazzi Slap strings

3. Evah slaps are thick as well.
    With solo Superflexibles, you won't need to anything special to your bass.
    And you'll get a great pizz tone for jazz too. :)

4. I would rather try Innovation Silver or Golden Slaps. Might be a bit light for jazz, but not lighter than gut strings.
    But they are thick too and don't bow well.
    Innovation Braided are good for jazz and bowing but a bit too high tension for rockabilly. Also the metal wrap might have a too aggressive slap.

5. sadwinkey

sadwinkey

Aug 12, 2017
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I think i've decided to go with the Innovation Silver Slaps. I listened to some demos of the strings, and to me they sound about what I am looking for.