Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

string choice...Please give your opinions!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I need to buy some new strings! The G broke and i jimmied it with an old guitar string (of course, it keeps going out of tune :rolleyes: ).

Additionally, the A string is having problems on the 6th thru 12th fret. It could be the neck, but most probably the string.

The strings i currently have are the D'addirio (sp?) "Chromes". I love the way they feel and i would like to get as close as possible to that smoothness. No roundwounds for me thanks!

Some posts say that the Chromes strings run at a higher tension so i would like to try a different brand. Additionally, the chromes cost me $50 canadian with tax and i would love it if my next set were cheaper than that but still good quality.

I would like to get a heavier gage G string too.

So here are my string desires:

1. They feel like chromes
    2. they are low tension (easy of playing right? BTW i dont slap)
    3. long lasting
    4. lower price (my least concern but still dont want to pay an arm and a leg).
    5. I can get them in my local music shop. I dont want to have to mail order if at all possible.
    6. Flatwounds only

So knowing those variables which brand of string should i get?

Please give your opinions!

2. TI Jazz Flats are low tension, bright sounding flats that apparently just sound better with time.

3. nailed it in one.

IMO, of course. ;)

4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

+1 :hyper:

5. If I remember correctly, the Chromes really were not appreciably higher in tension. Gauge affects tension far more.

I like the Chromes and have them on my 5 string. For my two 4-stringers (P-bass and Yamahammy) I've got Labella Deep Talkers. Great strings, perhaps even better than the Chromes, bought my most recent set at Sam Ash for twenty something bucks American.