String Choice. Please help

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by alx564, Nov 13, 2000.

1. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Hey Everyone,
    I recently bought a bass from eBay and I want to change the strings. What would you recommend. My styles of playing are mostly rock, or hard rock. I don't really play much jazz because I am basically a beginner (playin for bout a year). I slap a lot too (I don't know if the strings would effect that, I think they do). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I also forgot to ask if I should get roundwounds or flatrounds, and I forgot to mention that price is not a thing because I will get them as aChristmas present.
  3. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    You need to get roundwounds, first off. Im currently using Earnie Ball Slinkys. Their really good. Ive heard for rock music you should get GHS. Their really popular and cost about 17 dollars. Your bass matters to, of course. If its a Fendr, throw it out your window. If its an Ibanez, anything will work. Ask a guy at the store. Thay usually know a lot.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You might try Rotosounds. But, they're more expensive than Ernie Balls, but they're noted for their lifespan. I've been using them for about 25 years, (uhhh, not the same set). Noel Redding, John Entwhistle, Chris Squire, Stanley Clarke, John Paul Jones, Mark King and Geddy Lee use'em, too. "...the standard by which all other bass strings are evaluated to this day...."
  5. I use this set on all my basses except my fretless. It is a very good set, same gauges and real similar to Rotosound Swing Bass 66's, but Nickel instead of Stainless. They run about $15 a set, are real consistent, and Nickel doesn't wear down your frets as fast as Stainless does. My last set of Rotosound Swing Bass 66's had 2 dead strings out of the pack. I posted here and it seems as if Rotosound had some reliability problems in the past, but may be fixed now. I have never had a bad D'Addario string out of the pack in about 5 years of steady use (a pack or two a year). Trust me, they are really good, not expensive, and sound great. An excellent first set.

6. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I was looking at the strings and I couldn't find a set of D'Addario EXL 165 for a five string which I have. I have an Ibanez SR405 and I was wondering if I should just get EXL 170's if I can't find 165's. Would that really be much of a difference? I am still not sure exactly what I am gonna do yet but thanks for all your help.
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    No, there will not be much difference, except the colour of the package and a slightly lower gauge on the E and A.
  8. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Has anyone ever heard of Fodura here. I don't know how its spelled but thats how it sounds. My bass teacher recommended them to me and I was wondering what you think.
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Fodera, you say? I don't know their strings, but I'd recommend their basses anyday! :D
  10. There's nothing that says you have to use a string that's normally used for the type of music you play, play the strings that you like. I play mostly rock, and I use D'Addario Chromes on a fretless, giving me a sound completely different than the norm for the music I play. Does anyone agree with me, or am I just crazy?

11. i would recommend some ghs boomers for rock and punk and that stuff but since youre not on a budget go for fodera or dean markleys
  12. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    A fair warning, though: MANY people on this forum does not like GHS Bass Boomers at all (me being one of them). It just might not be your cup of tea, either.
  13. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I put on a set of Tomastik (sp) Jazz flats on my American Deluxe Jazz yesterday and they feel and sound great. The strings feel like nylons and I couldn't put my bass down last night. I finally had to go to bed at 1:30 am because I needed to get to work this morning.
  14. Dude.. preface a statement like that with "IMO"! Because IMO, Ernie Balls are far from dull.
  15. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    If you have $63 and want silky smoothness and high speed neck action get some Pyramid Gold flats. They are brighter than the cheap rounds and smooth as butter.
  16. bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    A set of Ken Smith rockmaster medium gauge will give that Ibanez sustain and tone that you didn't know it could produce.
  17. Hey guys,what's up?

To alx564, I'd recommend D'Addario strings.They're
    excellent strings, and I've never gotten a dead one,
    and I've been using them for almost twenty years.I'd
    recommend nickel over stainless, because, to me stain-
    less are overly bright, and they lose their brilliance
    more quickly than nickel.I'm speaking of roundwounds
    natuarally.As for flatwounds, I can't recommend anything
    yet, as I just recently bought a fretless Fender Jazz,
    and haven't changed the flatwounds on it yet.A lot of
    people seem to think either LaBella or Thomastik or
    Elixir are the best.The price range goes from about
    $25.00 to $60.00 respectively.You're getting them as a
    Christmas present? You Lucky dog.Sometimes when I plug
    in my bass, all I get is yelled at.

To Steve S.,I changed my strings yesterday too!It's
    hard to put your axe down when it's just been re-strung.
    I tried D'Addario Slowrounds.Pretty good, but I didn't
    notice any real difference between them and regular
    D'Addario strings.
  18. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
  19. I might be going out on a limb here, but i have found that my favorite strings are dr hibeams. they are really bright, almost to bright out of the box for picking, but great for slapping. they (IMO) are better than the ernie balls.