1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

String Choice/Scale/Gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Neverender, Jan 9, 2012.

1. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    Yo TB, need some help. So this is my first time re-stringing my US Peavey Cirrus since I got it, and I have no idea what strings are on it. In my search for finding my right tone I am lacking a little on the innate low end and experiencing a little too much harsh snap on the high-end. I realize some of this is in my hands, and intended at times, but I am looking to tame it a bit passively.

I was thinking about trying a set of half-rounds out for size, which would hopefully keep the mid-range drive, add a touch more girth, and cut some highs. I bought a set of D'addario's .105, and I figured when it said 'long scale' that meant 35" scale, I should have looked closer as they were for 34", but I will throw them on my ReBop.

My questions are, will these strings help me reach my intended goal? And if so, can anyone recommend a good set of half rounds. D'addario's 35" only coms in .100's and the nut on my Cirrus is set up for 105's.

Any help please?

2. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    Forgot to add, I tune a full step down, DGCF

3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    D'Addario Long MAY fit your instrument.

Here is a chart to go by for D'Addario fitment.

D'Addario Short fits instruments where Ball End to Nut is up to 32"
    D'Addario Medium fits instruments where Ball End to Nut is 32" - 34"
    D'Addario Long fits instruments where Ball End to Nut is 34" - 36"
    D'Addario Super Long fits instruments where Ball End to Nut is 36" - 38"

You will need to measure from the ball end to just past the nut to see if the strings will fit.

I don't think the strings are through body on that instrument... they may fit but it will be close.

D'Addario does make Half Rounds in super long.

GHS Brite Flats are not going to be long enough...
    Ken Smith Slick Rounds have a 38" winding length ball end to silk so those would work. They may be a little low tension if tuned down a half step.
    SIT makes Power Flats which may work, they meausre 37.25" ball to end of winding.

LaBella has Quarter Rounds which are similar... they can be made in extra long for you.

You may want to look at a set of extra long flatwounds. chromes wont be a bad option and they make them in super long. since they are higher tension to begin with, they will handle the drop tuning.

4. Neverender

Neverender

Mar 26, 2009
    Yeah I checked the length on the D'addario's last night and they we're just shy of being right, was a major bummer. I checked the super long scale and they only come in 45-100 and I am not sure I want to sacrifice any thickness, or if that will be enough of a difference on the strings seating on the nut.

I will definitely look into some of those other string sets, any other types of strings you might recommend for a little less high end bite, and pronounced mids/lows, even if they aren't Halfrounds?

5. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    You should take your question, and post it for the TB Cirrus Club members-for some responses. Try that...

If you're not a member, join the fun. :bassist: