1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

String choices 4 different Styles?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by fastfloyd, Sep 14, 2008.

1. fastfloyd

fastfloyd

Apr 22, 2008
    Lebanon OR.
    So I've been Playing for many years, but I've never really tried different string types (low riders, flats, ETC.) Any suggestions for Finger style rock on my L2k? What do you all
    Like?

2. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I keep coming back to TI Jazz flats. Even when I like many of the characteristics of other strings and often change for the sake of change, to quote Al Pacino in Godfather III, the TI Jazz flats "keep pulling me back in."

3. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    My new faves are TI Superalloys. They are very balanced string to string and have a very full response without being too harsh even when new. Their only drawback is that they only come in a fairly light tension set, but I'm liking the tension ok now (I used to use much higher tension strings). They are a nickel string, which I find ideal for fingerstyle as steel strings can have alot of fret noise and harsh overtones. Steels are ideal for a really bright attack, and sound great with a pick, I just could never dig their fingerstyle tone. That said, my favorite strings on my old L2500 and SB-2 for quite a while were DR Black Beauties. They are a steel string, but have a colored coating on the outer wrap which cuts down on alot of the harshness- they have a punchy fingerstyle tone with lots of low mids and just the right bright top end. I've found those strings sounded really good for a long time, but others say that they are really dull sounding to begin with- just depends on what you're going for. I've had a short phase with each of
    the DR sets, and my next favorite after the Black Beauties would definitely be the Sunbeams- they are fairly close in tone to the TI Superalloys, but with a little less high mids to my ears once they wear in. They both have a really good low-mid "oomph" but the Sunbeams are also pretty low tension...

Your experiences definitely may vary! What sort of rock tone are you looking for?

Karl

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    You're gonna get as many asnswers as replies;)
    Stock they come with either SIT powerwound nickel, or DA XL170 nickel.

I think both are good choices.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've been happy with a wide range of strings, including GHS Precision flats and Dean Marklel Blue Steels on my P-bass, which are opposite ends of the spectrum. Depends what I'm looking for at the time.

For my L-1500, I think DR Lo-Riders are fantastic, so I bet they'd be excellent on an L-2000. They're bright, but not overly so, with good balance and a solid low end. It took awhile to get used to the low tension, but once I did I was happy with them. I've been happy with GHS Boomers on my SB-2, though I'd like to try Lo-Riders on that as well.

Edit: I should add I play rock, and it's fingerstyle 95% of the time.

6. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I've been sticking with Regular Slinky 5's for my L2500 and Super Slinky on my Stingray 4; probably for the last 10 years. I did try D'Addario nickels on a fretless and they did sound pretty good, too.

7. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Nickel Lo-Riders are killer on my L2500. I just took that bass to a gig today after not playing it for a while, and was reminded of how good the combo is. It was a kid's band daytime deal for fun, and we did everything from country to punk to disco (all kid-friendly of course:) and I was just getting simply knockout tone outta my bass---pick, fingers, every knob-twiddling setting in the book since we were mostly goofing around. Highly recommended.

8. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    For good rock tone, I keep ending up using Rotosounds Swing 66 sets on both of my G&Ls (L2k & SB-2). I've tried lots of DRs - Sunbeams, Hi-beams, Lo-Riders (I love DRs on my Ibanez), but for the G&Ls, the Rotos give me what I'm looking for. I think they've got a little more natural mids and highs than the DRs. Allows me to cut through a little more. Warning, though: Rotos chew frets...

9. +1 for the nickel lowrider, 40-100's

I am kind of a wuss, I can't handle the 45-105 big boy gauge.